'Viva La Vegas' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-26-2007, 12:34 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Viva La Vegas' - High-Def Digest review

You wouldn't expect a 1964 film like Elvis Presey's 'Viva La Vegas' to earn praise as a high-def release, but according to Peter, this Warner remaster is something truly special, boasting a fantastic transfer, a Dolby TrueHD track and a even couple of new nifty extras.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/893/vivalasvegas.html
Old 09-26-2007, 12:46 PM

Watched this one over the weekend. I'm always amused by Ann Margaret's dancing...in this movie, it occasionally looks like she's being electrocuted.

I found the 5.1 surround mix distracting for some reason. It just seemed artificial (which in fact it was). The worst part was during the opening theme music...after that the mix wasn't quite so blatant. During the race, there was even a little hint of surround activity. Just the same, even the worst modern movies have better sound.

The video was magnificent. The only other version of this I have in my collection is a VHS tape...talk about an improvement.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:38 AM

Great to see movies from all time periods & genres. This is what the high def market needs to entice new adopters.
Glad to see Warner putting in the effort to remaster this title to give us a quality release. Hopefully more to come.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:11 AM

Over 2 1/2 years and no more posts Just another plug for this movie as the transfer was SPECTACULAR. Ann Margaret looks amazing as well and for people who missed this generation of movies, you may be very pleasantly surprised to find it entertaining even if it has a simple story line. Just for the PQ alone it was worth it for me and it really was fun seeing Ann Margaret on more than one occasion dance so spasmatic.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:59 AM

yeah Warner is supposedly set to release some other Elvis movies later this year.
too bad they don't own the rights to the really good ones.
Paramount does unfortunately.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
yeah Warner is supposedly set to release some other Elvis movies later this year.
too bad they don't own the rights to the really good ones.
Paramount does unfortunately.
When I saw this movie, I thought the effort put into the transfer may be a one off, so I'm glad I got it. Too bad about Paramount, but maybe they will think about doing something good in the future hopefully with their movies.