'Halloween' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-25-2007, 01:32 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Halloween' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Peter's review of 'Halloween.' Although this new Blu-ray edition is fairly comprehensive package (featuring a new PCM 5.1 track, most of the better supplements from previous standard-def editions and even a high-def exclusive "fun facts" track), as a longtime fan of the film, Peter was disappointed to find that it seems to use the same troubled master from the film's DiviMax DVD edition.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/966/halloween1978.html
Old 09-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Banned

from what i gather reading the review it doesn't seem to mention that the actual picture quality is bad, just that it doesn't match the color timing of the carpenter dvd

shouldn't this take away from the "overall" rating as opposed to the pq rating or is the pq also terrible as i see it has only gotten 1.5 stars

going by this summary here, it sounds like the pq is favourable overall as i'll outline what seem to be the negative parts of the picture quality

Quote:
Other aspects of the transfer are much better. The print is not perfect -- there are still quite a few white speckles and dirt granules -- but it's pretty clean for a thirty year-old low-budget flick. Detail is also noticeably sharper than any previous standard-def release, including the DiviMax DVD. During Carpenter's many tracking shots of the Haddonfield neighborhoods, textures on houses, cars, and trees are now distinct (before, everything was a little mushy). I was not as fond of the shadow delineation and still feel the DiviMax master is too bright -- there is more detail visible in the dark portions of the image than ever before, but it just looks too bright compared to the old Cundey-approved versions. Finally, regardless of which disc version you choose, 'Halloween' looks a little soft by modern standards. Although this Blu-ray edition is without a doubt the most three-dimensional ‘Halloween’ has ever looked on video, I’m sorry to say that I just can't recommend it. I've always been a big fan of both 'Halloween' and Anchor Bay/Starz (I've certainly bought enough of their DVDs over the years), so I was really hoping they’d spent the money to re-transfer the movie under the guidance of Cundey and Carpenter, but unfortunately, despite this golden opportunity, it seems we'll have to wait for another Blu-ray double dip to see if a proper high-def version of 'Halloween' is at last a possibility.
so is the pq worse than sea of love, van wilder, hustle and flow, the game, in good company, ricky bobby, excalibur and army of darkness?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:48 PM

I watched HALLOWEEN (BD) Saturday night and had no problem with the transfer.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:36 PM

I don't have it yet, but have seen the HD transfer on Monsters HD and it is exceptional. I saw this in the theater in 1978, bought the first VHS Media Home Entertainment copy, the first fullscreen laserdisc, the Criterion laserdisc, and the THX dvd. If the BD is anything like the print on Monsters HD, it is the best it has ever looked.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:45 PM

I don't know what to make of this, this BD has gotten raving reviews on other sites:

DVD Talk PQ 4/5: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30580

DVD Authority PQ 5/5: http://www.dvdauthority.com/reviews.asp?reviewID=5308

DVD Review says "I can't even put into words, how fans of the movie will enjoy this!" http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/pages/2682.shtml

I will have to wait for a couple more reviews and hear what owners of this BD say before I decide...
Old 09-25-2007, 02:49 PM

WOW!!! Do you have a hate on for this movie or something? The other reviews I have read have all said the release was top-notch but you give it the 2nd lowest rating for video of all Blu-ray movies ever reviewed? Seems quite strange.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideybat View Post
I don't have it yet, but have seen the HD transfer on Monsters HD and it is exceptional. I saw this in the theater in 1978, bought the first VHS Media Home Entertainment copy, the first fullscreen laserdisc, the Criterion laserdisc, and the THX dvd. If the BD is anything like the print on Monsters HD, it is the best it has ever looked.
I agree, the transfer that is being shown on Monsters HD looks great. If the BD looks as good as that I will be more than happy.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:04 PM

I think Bracke is pissed that AB possibly used the same master as the Divimax release and he is totally over-reacting. All he is focused on is the color issue. When all other reviewers are giving it high marks, it doesn't do much for Bracke's credibility.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxx View Post
I don't know what to make of this, this BD has gotten raving reviews on other sites:

DVD Talk PQ 4/5: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30580

DVD Authority PQ 5/5: http://www.dvdauthority.com/reviews.asp?reviewID=5308

DVD Review says "I can't even put into words, how fans of the movie will enjoy this!" http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/pages/2682.shtml

I will have to wait for a couple more reviews and hear what owners of this BD say before I decide...
I relied on the above reviews to pre-order this disc from Amazon. With this "bad" review here, I'm left to wonder which Review Site is the one to trust.

Since I've never owned a copy of Halloween, I will not know what I'm missing. The Blu-ray version will either confirm Peter's review, or sink him as an accurate source.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:08 PM

This transfer was quite good. I give it atleast a 4/5 for PQ.

~Josh