Region Coding - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Founding Member

Default Region Coding

Read somewhere in this forum that Blu-ray rules for region coding only apply for the first year for new movies. Why then are Fox region Coding all their Movies Backcatlog included?.At least Sony seem to be playing ball with their back catalog titles
Old 09-24-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenmulder View Post
Read somewhere in this forum that Blu-ray rules for region coding only apply for the first year for new movies. Why then are Fox region Coding all their Movies Backcatlog included?.At least Sony seem to be playing ball with their back catalog titles
Studios can region code catalogue movies new to Blu-ray if they want. However, all titles need to be region free if the disc needs to be re-pressed one year after being released on Blu-ray.

Both Sony and Disney have said that their policy are to only region-code day-and-dates in USA. Sony have also said to only release region-free discs in Europe and Australia.

Fox seams to also only release region free titles in Europe and Australia after Night at the Museum.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:42 PM

I was wondering if someone could take a moment and fill me in on something.

If I have a US PS3 can I only play Discs from US, Japan, China, and Hong Kong? According to the wikipedia Blu-Ray entry, that seems to be the straight deal. Is this accurate? I wouldn't mind looking into importing some titles, possibly for Europe, but I'm under the assumption that this wouldn't be possible without illegally tampering with firmware or something of that nature.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristua View Post

If I have a US PS3 can I only play Discs from US, Japan, China, and Hong Kong? According to the wikipedia Blu-Ray entry, that seems to be the straight deal. Is this accurate? I wouldn't mind looking into importing some titles, possibly for Europe, but I'm under the assumption that this wouldn't be possible without illegally tampering with firmware or something of that nature.
A lot of European Blu rays have no region coding
Old 09-24-2007, 07:04 PM

So it's sensitive to the disc and not the player?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:

titles from japan/china are encoded region A or 1 which is the same as the US so these would play perfectly fine
however with titles from Europe the are region B or 2 which will not play so if you are importing from Europe do so with some research first to make sure the title is region free

also to my knowledge as of now there is no way to put CFW on a PS3, i have seen some HB apps that use the new OS feature and did see one CFW but it didnt work well and was not distributed
Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
So it's sensitive to the disc and not the player?
players and discs have regions a region 2/B disc will not play on a region 1/A player, the disc and the player must match regions, or you must have a region free disc which will play on any player
Old 09-24-2007, 08:31 PM

Maybe this link will help you. Scroll down for R2 titles.

bluray.liesinc.net (can't post as an actual link, since my post count is <10)

Apologies to the admin(s) for posting a link in my first response. I hope that's okay since I'm not spamming but just trying to help the original poster.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall4008 View Post
players and discs have regions a region 2/B disc will not play on a region 1/A player, the disc and the player must match regions, or you must have a region free disc which will play on any player
Please don't use numbers for labeling regions coding on Blu-ray. My Playstation 3 from Japan have the region code 3/A. Region code 3 for DVD and Region code A for Blu-ray:s.

Most Blu-ray discs are region free and even more from Europe. Take a look at these sites to see if a title will play or not.

http://www.allaboutbluray.co.uk/inde...ges/willitplay
http://bluray.liesinc.net/

And remember that numbers in region coding are for DVD:s, not Blu-ray.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:42 PM

For region coding questions, I go to Merlins