New BD of HALLOWEEN still has color timing issues during the night scenes.... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-22-2007, 06:18 AM

Default New BD of HALLOWEEN still has color timing issues during the night scenes....

Ok, tripod. Canon camera in FULL manual mode. Same exposure setting, same time, same iris, EVERYTHING identical, raw, untweaked pics.

Cundey THX transfer....

Blu ray version.....

another....

Cundey THX version....

BD version

another....

Cundey THX version

BD version

another...

Cundey THX version

BD version

one more

Dean Cundey THX dvd

Blu Ray

Same input on PJ using HDMI splitter. camera in manual mode with identical settings for both.

It's not me, boys.... And at least in these night shots, seems like the DVDtalk guy doesn't know what he's DVDtalking about!

Gonna load up more in a sec. The daytime scenes were definitely tweaked. Much closer to the Cundey but still not exact. Kind of in the middle.

give me a sec...
Old 09-22-2007, 06:19 AM

The, "Hey jerk! Speed KILLS!" scene....

Dean Cundey THX

BD version (NICE additional detail!)

and last but not least, the divimax DVD

So it looks like the new BD is somewhere in between the GREEN of the divimax and the more fall-like Cundey at least in the day scenes.
But the night ones, to me look like the divimax.

I just did this to point it out, not to suggest that fans SHOULDN'T get this but as far as "They used the Cundey approved transfer..."
No, they didn't. First off, that was done in 99 and wasn't even an HD transfer in the first place. They may have tried to MATCH some of this new one to that. For the most part, the day scenes look pretty close, though not dead on, but the night scenes in question, nope.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:09 AM

God, the Cundey version is so Cameron-ish blue. One thing clearly evident is the enhanced details in the BD images. From the house siding to the leaves. An improvement worth purchasing in my book.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:18 AM

I must say the BD version is truer to the theatrical presentation I saw in 1978. It's closer to the Criterion laserdisc.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:09 PM

If the "colour timing issues" mean the BD transfer doesn't look like it was shot through a blue filter... then I like colour timing issues.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:24 PM

The Blu-ray version looks more like a night scene should. Seems like more of a fix than an issue to me.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:41 PM

WOW! and I thought the two DVD versions I already own were going to suffice: one basic version and the Divimax version.

Damn, guess I'll have to buy this one as well. This BD version sure looks excellent and probably the best it ever will.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 09-22-2007, 08:40 PM

That sucks, I can't believe they didn't use the Cundey transfer. The daytime scene looks good, but still not completly the way it should. How hard is it for Anchor bay to get this right?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Is this movie any good? I've never seen it! )
Old 09-22-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanJohnson View Post
Is this movie any good? I've never seen it! )
As far as slasher flicks go... just about genre defining. Been a while since I've seen it but I recall it being entertaining.

Last edited by goshikisen; 09-23-2007 at 10:36 AM.