Image Plans New Blu-ray Wave - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-20-2007, 03:45 AM
HDD Founder

Default Image Plans New Blu-ray Wave

With thanks to Jared, watch for our full story later this morning. Here's a preview:

Quote:
After an absence of nearly a year, indie distributor Image Entertainment is returning to the high-def release schedule with a new wave of Blu-ray titles.

Currently planned for Blu-ray release on December 4 are the special interest programs 'The Amazing World of National Geographic,' '50 Paintings from The Museum of Modern Art,' 'Art Wolfe: Vanishing Act,' and '1,000 Places to See Before You Die: 50 Favorite Destinations.'

Just over a month later on January 15, Image will release its first feature film on a next-gen format, with the Blu-ray release of Australian war flick 'Breaker Morant.' Starring Edward Woodward, this under-the-radar cult favorite was nominated for an Oscar and won a Golden Globe upon its original release in 1980.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:03 AM

Wow. How underwhelming. National geographic movies.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:04 AM

Great news!

Interesting to read about them on Wikipedia:
Quote:
Image Entertainment was founded at the beginning of the LaserDisc era as an outlet to distribute product for that format and taking advantage of its key features, including sound and picture quality that surpassed VHS and Beta.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_Entertainment

Image Entertainment has also a lot of horror movies. Looks like Blu-ray could be a format for horror movie lovers as Starz/Anchor Bay also releases on Blu-ray.

Don't think their scheduled titles will be any big sellers but they might test the PQ on Blu-ray.

I'm waiting for their other titles, titles like:

My Name is Bruce
Assault on Precinct 13
The Football Factory (To be released by Momentum Pictures on Blu-ray in UK)
Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages

Take a look at this site for all their movies that they distribute.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlins View Post
Take a look at this site for all their movies that they distribute.
Well...sorta. If you look closer you'll see that most of those entries (at least the well known titles) are for distributor of the Laserdisc versions, I'd guess that very few of those titles do they still hold any type of distribution rights over.

From the looks of things they've had a bit hard since Laserdisc died off, they were really ripping it up in the LD era though.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:29 AM

Woohoo I rule! But anyway, Image has lots of cool stuff in their catalog. They distribute the entire Criterion Collection, so it will be interesting to see if that remains true for high-def.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
Wow. How underwhelming. National geographic movies.
LOL. Hard to get excited over these. I am sure there are those who are happy about these releases.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
LOL. Hard to get excited over these. I am sure there are those who are happy about these releases.
They will also release Breaker Morant in January 15.

It also seams like they are distributing the Discovery Atlas-discs released in January 30 2007 (atleast the Blu-ray version) so they are not new to HighDef.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:11 AM

This has been talked about on Blu-ray.com already in July:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/index.php?id=317

Breaker Morant was not scheduled then.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 AM

Yeah. Will be interesting to see what movies they still hold the releasing rights for. I'm all for more titles as long as they're worth buying and the quality is there. Will have to wait for some reviews me thinks...
Old 09-20-2007, 10:29 AM

Exciting news. Image is releasing their first feature film on blu-ray. Hopefully their horror titles are in the pipeline.

Perhaps Criterion will not be far behind?