Disney Blu-ray Bundles -- Discussion - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-19-2007, 12:42 AM
PeterB

Default Disney Blu-ray Bundles -- Discussion

Studio repackings of their top hits in "discount" bundles seems to be all the rage lately.

First Warner, now Disney. They have three new four-packs hitting retailers nationwide:

The "Action Movies" four-pack includes 'Pearl Harbor,' 'Gone in 60 Seconds,' 'The Guardian' and 'Deja Vu'

"Family Movies" four-pack includes 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl,' 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest,' 'Invincible' and 'Eight Below'

"Disney Movies" four-pack includes 'The Wild,' 'Chicken Little,' 'Dinosaur' and 'Bridge to Terabithia'

Retail is $139.98 per bundle, which doesn't allow any discount by default. However, most retailers (including Amazon) are listing them for less.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 PM

My only concern is they may be pushing a bundle with a misframed POTC.

My sencond concern is that someone may buy a bundle and Accidentally watch Pearl Harbor.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 PM

Perhaps im being synical, but how can you release a "Best Of" selection of BD films when the format has only existed for a short amount of time.

And concider that report suggests that Pirates will be part of it, just makes this seem a blatent sales technique.

My idea of a "Best Of" selection would be older films, that has some age to them and dont sell very well!

But this is just an excuse to sell any 4 films for a slightly cheap price in bulk. But hey... if it works... it works!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekedoutfish View Post
Perhaps im being synical, but how can you release a "Best Of" selection of BD films when the format has only existed for a short amount of time.

And concider that report suggests that Pirates will be part of it, just makes this seem a blatent sales technique.

My idea of a "Best Of" selection would be older films, that has some age to them and dont sell very well!

But this is just an excuse to sell any 4 films for a slightly cheap price in bulk. But hey... if it works... it works!
yes. its called business. amazing eh?

Over all, im not sure how much of a sales impact these have. I guess it depends how these bundles have done on DVD. Ive never purchased them but who knows.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:07 PM

The idea is to get people to buy a 3rd or 4th disc they normally wouldn't if they are already interested in 2-3 of them. In particular, they want to move more units of a weak seller by capitalizing on the higher demand for a couple strong sellers.

Of course, usually to do that, some kind of discount is needed, so I have to wonder how they plan to accomplish their goal with this.

The other idea is to associate one film people may not know that well with others they do. By packing film together in a box set, they get people to think the unfamiliar titles are like the ones they already like, and that makes the box appealing...of course, if there's a discount.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:14 AM

If you pay for each movie separately, it's cheaper. I added up the cost of each pack if you were to buy each movie separately from Amazon.

Family Movies $89.80
Action Movies $87.80
Disney Movies $86.80

Buying the bundles will cost you more...$97.95 for each bundle. So how are these bundles a good deal? Bundles are supposed to be cheaper than buying each movie separately. Plus they're not even coming out until November 6. No need to wait until November 6 so you can pay more. You're better off to buy them individually, save a bunch of money, and watch them now since they've already been released. Maybe Amazon will lower the price of the bundles before November 6 comes around, but for now, the price on the bundles isn't good.