American Psycho 6.1 DD ex!? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-18-2007, 05:35 PM

Default American Psycho 6.1 DD ex!?

I have the American Psycho blu-ray disk that claims to have a DD 6.1 ex track. When i select this menu option and then hit display on my ps3 remote the audio only shows up as 5.1, 1.5 mbs...

Why not 6.1!?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
I have the American Psycho blu-ray disk that claims to have a DD 6.1 ex track. When i select this menu option and then hit display on my ps3 remote the audio only shows up as 5.1, 1.5 mbs...

Why not 6.1!?
With Dolby Digital EX the back surround channel is not a discrete channel. It is matrix encoded into the Right surround and Left Surround channels, similar to the way the center channel is created in dolby pro-logic encodings. Your PS3 is displaying the Dolby Digital information correctly.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post

Why not 6.1!?
The PS3 gives the option of playing blu-ray/dvd audio by way of "Bitstream" or "Linear PCM" & I've noticed that "Linear PCM" plays 6.1 DTS & 6.1 DD tracks as 5.1, and Dolby Surround as 2.0; whereas "Bitstream" will play 6.1 DTS & 6.1 DD tracks as 6.1, and Dolby Surround plays in Surround sound.

I also noticed that Dolby TrueHD tracks will play at a lower bitrate through "Bitstream"; so essentially I use "Linear PCM" for uncompressed PCM & Dolby TrueHD tracks, and "Bitstream" for everything else.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apemilkbuddha View Post
I also noticed that Dolby TrueHD tracks will play at a lower bitrate through "Bitstream"; so essentially I use "Linear PCM" for uncompressed PCM & Dolby TrueHD tracks, and "Bitstream" for everything else.
If it's set to Bitstream it sends the uncompressed info out to the receiver for processing. If it's set to LPCM it does the work inside the PS3 and then sends. If you have it set to Bitstream and your uncompressed track is being played wrong then perhaps your receiver doesn't support TrueHD or maybe there's a hardware conflict? I don't know what to say about bitrate differences, though.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM

Sending Dolby TrueHD bitstream at this point, on either a BD or HD DVD player, is not possible. In the case of the PS3, the reason why the "bitrate is lowered" is because it's simply streaming the standard 640kbps AC-3 Dolby Digital track, not the TrueHD track. The only way to hear Dolby TrueHD on the PS3 is to set the audio option to LPCM and select the TrueHD track which will then be decoded in the machine and sent via HDMI as LPCM.