'Paprika' - Pre-release buzz - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-17-2007, 03:22 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Paprika' - Pre-release buzz

Sony has announced that it will bring the Anime title 'Paprika' to Blu-ray Nov 27, complete with several features exclusive to the Blu-ray edition.

News Story:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Sony/972

Disc Details:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1133/paprika.html

Last edited by jed; 09-17-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added link to news story
Old 09-17-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Paprika

Living in Europe, I already have this Sony release. It does have some color banding, but I am generally pleased with the quality of presentation. Interesting extras, too
Old 09-17-2007, 10:09 PM

This is friggin' awesome - I was about to import this from France at great extra expense. Now I'm sure I can get it for practically free using part credit and part deal at a local Movie Stop. YAY!

Now all we need is to see that Infernal Affairs import get a domestic release...is that gonna happen?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned

I was gonna import this as well, but now I can pick it up in the states in a few months!

I just wish Spirited away and howls moving castle would come out @[email protected]
Old 09-18-2007, 06:22 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster, this is a great release! Also it looks like Sony has added more content to the US Region A release, my JP Region A release only has the HD content, commentary with Satoshi Kon et al, and the 5.1 uncompressed LPCM track.

What's most surprising is that this one has a AVC MPEG-4 transfer, whereas the original Japanese release has a MPEG-2 transfer (still beautiful in every way [and one of my favourite BDs next to Donnie Brasco and The Prestige], but the compression with MPEG-4 allows for that extra content).

I don't know if I should double dip or not just because of the features being carried over from the DVD, and I am a fan of both Tohru Furuya and Megumi Hayashibara. =)

EDIT: On second thought, I'll just go rent or borrow this version to see the SD features, thinking about it, I'm much happier with the pristine picture and linear PCM audio in my version (and probably better cover art comparing the French Region B to the Japanese Region A).

Last edited by Superking; 09-18-2007 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
Living in Europe, I already have this Sony release. It does have some color banding, but I am generally pleased with the quality of presentation. Interesting extras, too
I have both the European and Japanese editions and I've noticed the color banding too. Other than that it looks good and it's a great movie. Just for fun I watched it with English audio today. It was OK but the original is superior in every way. Both these editions has the Japanese PCM track, strange that it doesn't seem to be included in the US release.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:46 AM

I am looking forward to watching Paprika in high definiton Blu-ray the only concern i have is that no English dubbing just Japanese 5.1
Old 09-23-2007, 11:23 AM

according to this site :

English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French-Parisian Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Spanish (Latin American) Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Chinese (Mandarin) Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Chinese (Cantonese) Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Thai Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround

Subtitles/Captions
English SDH
French-Parisian Subtitles
Spanish (Latin American) Subtitles
Chinese Subtitles
Portuguese Subtitles
Korean Subtitles
Thai Subtitles

Since this is a 50gigs disc, i'am pretty sure it will have the PCM track has all release Sony did have one....
Old 09-23-2007, 11:28 AM

Have missed that it also has a Thai soundtrack. Will order it then. I'm looking for more movies with Thai subtitles or soundtracks. Sony seams to be the best studio adding Thai.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-RayAnime View Post
I am looking forward to watching Paprika in high definiton Blu-ray the only concern i have is that no English dubbing just Japanese 5.1
lol. No poor English dubbing is a good thing to me.