Fox explains their DTS-MA decision to HiHD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Banned

Default Fox explains their DTS-MA decision to HiHD

Quote:
* Choice of audio codecs:
-- There are numerous factors that go into deciding what audio codecs to use on each and every disc. There is no fixed standard.
Fox execs tell me they are using DTS-HD MA due to the strong value proposition it provides both consumers with existing audio equipment and consumers who will purchase new audio equipment.
Here is their explanation: Every DTS-HD MA stream is layered - it consists of an embedded DTS Digital Surround stream and lossless audio information is built on- top of this embedded DTS Digital Surround stream. DTS-HD utilizes this layered scheme to provide the highest quality available for consumers with existing A/V receivers.
DTS-HD MA streams deliver DTS Digital Surround at 1.5Mbps for existing A/V receivers - more than twice the data rate available with other audio codecs supported on existing A/V receivers. This results in an immediate improvement in sound quality for consumers with existing A/ V receivers (any existing A/V receiver with DTS decoding can play back DTS Digital Surround at 1.5Mbps).
With new audio equipment, DTS-HD MA provides audio that is identical to the Studio Master.
While support for DTS-HD MA is not widespread today, it is believed that the situation will be short-term for the following reasons:
-- Several Blu-ray players will be launched in the near future that support decoding of DTS-HD MA and/or bitstream output of DTS-HD MA to A/V receivers via the HDMI V1.3 standard.
-- Firmware updates will be made available for some Blu-ray Players to provide DTS-HD MA support.
-- Several A/V receivers will be launched in the near future that support decoding of DTS-HD MA.
http://www.hollywoodinhidef.com/blog_detail.php?id=124

makes a lot more sense - gives people the best optical solution and is future ready for the new receivers and players
Old 09-12-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Guru View Post
makes a lot more sense - gives people the best optical solution and is future ready for the new receivers and players
This may be an ignorant question, but since the PS3 doesn't natively decode DTS-HD MA, does that mean it won't be able to output 1.5Mbps DTS to my receiver via TOSLINK? Or will the normal DTS decoding on the PS3 be able to take just the core track of the DTS-HD MA and send that to the receiver?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
This may be an ignorant question, but since the PS3 doesn't natively decode DTS-HD MA, does that mean it won't be able to output 1.5Mbps DTS to my receiver via TOSLINK? Or will the normal DTS decoding on the PS3 be able to take just the core track of the DTS-HD MA and send that to the receiver?
you will be able to listen to the 1.5 Mbps core DTS from DTS-MA tracks through optical with the Playstation 3 and any other DVD player that has a DTS symbol on it.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:57 PM

Exactly. I am quite happy with Master Audio. I use the 1.5 via optical and its 3 times the bit rate of most other HD or BD media. The PS3 WILL get the decoding for it they just are waiting to make sure it fits with the other things they have to put it. The guys that make the firmware have confirmed this. For now its perfect for me.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Guru View Post
you will be able to listen to the 1.5 Mbps core DTS from DTS-MA tracks through optical with the Playstation 3 and any other DVD player that has a DTS symbol on it.
thats exactly what i get!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:43 PM

This is good news for people with a moderate surround system with only optical inputs (getting 1.5 mbps DTS instead of 500 kbps DD5.1) and bad news for people with HD audio setups (getting 1.5 mbps DTS instead of 6.9 mbps PCM or DTHD via HDMI or multi-channel analog.) DTS-MA is also HD audio of course, but almost nothing on the planet can play it right now.

Meh.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:21 PM

I hate this audio format. I wish it would go away, at least until players start doing something with it.

I'm NOT satisfied with 1.5mb dts from Fox movies that are exorbitantly more expensive than any other Blu-ray discs, coupled with a complete lack of special features. Disney and Sony (both of whom have 100% lossless releases) have no problem putting PCM, Dolby Digital and sometimes TrueHD on the same disc. Fox isn't exactly packing those 50gb discs with their bare bones $39.99 MSRP releases.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX View Post
I hate this audio format. I wish it would go away, at least until players start doing something with it.
I have nothing against it, other than the fact that almost nobody on the planet can hear it right now, myself included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX View Post

I'm NOT satisfied with 1.5mb dts from Fox movies that are exorbitantly more expensive than any other Blu-ray discs, coupled with a complete lack of special features. Disney and Sony (both of whom have 100% lossless releases) have no problem putting PCM, Dolby Digital and sometimes TrueHD on the same disc. Fox isn't exactly packing those 50gb discs with their bare bones $39.99 MSRP releases.
Well said. They are neglecting people with expensive receivers to make the ones with cheap receivers happy. Making both sets of consumers happy is quite possible, but it's not happening with Fox.

/sigh
Old 09-13-2007, 01:10 PM

Yup, everyone is just short-sighted on the DTS-MA issue. I've been saying it for months. DTS-MA is the way to go IMO. Best lossy and lossless in one nice package. It also has higher available peaks than TrueHD although I doubt movies would ever need that.