Labyrinth was planned for an Aug. 18th release? Who knew? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Labyrinth was planned for an Aug. 18th release? Who knew?

It turns out there are some videos for Labyrinth tucked amongst the plethora of Star Wars vids over at the official Star Wars site - not necessarily where one might think they'd be, but it is a Lucasfilm-related production, albeit not an actual George Lucas creation à la Star Wars, Indy, American Graffiti, etc. Whatever. Anyway...

To check the clips out, let the site's main page load, then select "Video" (at the upper-left corner of the page), and then "Exclusives"; this brings up a Star Wars: The Clone Wars selection, but if one clicks on the pointer in the red box next to that title, a broader range of video exclusives is listed, including "Labyrinth Anniversary Edition." All the videos there begin and end with this image:

So, what happened? And why is the movie not listed on the release date list here even under the postponed section?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Special Member

I am going to move this to the "General" Section as this movie is released by New Line which is Format Neutral.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 AM

Interesting find, Blondie. Since this is the neutral both formats section, I'll just post this once - IMHO the current 'negotiations' between Warner and the BDA & HD DVD groups is not about Warner - its about New Line.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post
I am going to move this to the "General" Section as this movie is released by New Line which is Format Neutral.
Actually Labyrinth is released by Sony (Columbia Tristar) so the Blu-ray section is the correct place for it.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayboy View Post
Actually Labyrinth is released by Sony (Columbia Tristar) so the Blu-ray section is the correct place for it.
Not in North America, which was the subject of the OP.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post
But Sony released the corresponding standard DVD edition that did come out on that date (as well as all the previous DVD releases). Note, too, the image I linked to (I'd hoped the actual image would appear here, but I must not have enough posts or something) does say "OWN IT ON BLU-RAY™ HIGH-DEF AND DVD ON AUGUST 14th!," and also sports a Sony logo.

Last edited by Blondie-Wan; 09-11-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Wan View Post
At any rate, the image I posted a link to (I'd hoped the actual image would appear here, but I must not have enough posts or something) does say "OWN IT ON BLU-RAY™ HIGH-DEF AND DVD ON AUGUST 14th!," and also sports a Sony logo.
Actually, it's a bit of work, but adds a lot of fun to your posts. You need to create an account at a free image hosting site like photobucket.com, then upload the image, then you get a url like this -

PM if you need help.

And Sony is smarter than that. Films have different distributors for different countries. Imdb. com is a good source for movie info, and when you click "company credits" for a movie, you get info like this:
Quote:
Company credits for
Laberinto del fauno, El (2006)
Distributors

* New Line Home Video (2007) (USA) (DVD)
Old 09-12-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Actually, it's a bit of work, but adds a lot of fun to your posts. You need to create an account at a free image hosting site like photobucket.com, then upload the image, then you get a url like this -

PM if you need help.
Thanks. That's actually what I tried to do, using Flickr, which I presume isn't the same sort of site. Live and learn, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
And Sony is smarter than that. Films have different distributors for different countries. Imdb. com is a good source for movie info, and when you click "company credits" for a movie, you get info like this:
Indeed. And this is the info for Labyrinth:

Quote:
# TriStar Pictures (1986) (USA) (theatrical)
# Columbia TriStar Home Video (2000) (USA) (DVD)
Were you and Ph8 under the impression I was talking about El Laberinto del fauno (aka Pan's Labyrinth), perhaps? I instead meant this one, Labyrinth, the 1986 Jim Henson movie with David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly (which had George Lucas as its executive producer).
Old 09-16-2007, 03:49 PM

Looks like some people did not read your post. It clearly states Labyrinth Anniversary Edition and the picture also shows the image of the movie Labyrinth.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:58 PM

I've got a soft spot for this movie even though it can be kind of cheesy.