'Aviator' -- pre-release buzz - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2007, 01:51 PM
PeterB

Default 'Aviator' -- pre-release buzz

Warner has announced 'The Aviator' for Blu-ray:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/aviator.html

The Oscar-nominated Martin Scorsese gem will hit HD on November 6 with 1080p video, Dolby Digital 5.1 surround audio, an audio commentary with Scorsese, an A&E channel doc, deleted scene and still gallery.

Retail is $28.98.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:14 PM

No high resolution audio = no buy

Until certain studios (I'm looking at you, Warner and Paramount) start embracing high res audio CONSISTENTLY, I'm not forking over premium prices for their HD DVDs or Blu-rays. I'll hold off on Aviator and many other HD catalog reissues until the obnoxiously high prices come down.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:49 PM

Uncompressed audio is nice but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me. DD+ sounds great and I'm happy with that. Far more interesting to me is IME/U-Control, and lots of docus.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
Uncompressed audio is nice but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me. DD+ sounds great and I'm happy with that. Far more interesting to me is IME/U-Control, and lots of docus.
DD+ does the job for me as well, but it looks like the Blu-Ray Version is only getting DD:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65868

DD+ is only optional on Blu-Ray and not Mandatory like on HD DVD. Because they have to include at least one mandatory audio track, they replaced the DD+ track with a DD track. But why don't they just add the normal DD track as an additional track on the BD releases?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:03 PM

This is a great movie and in HD will look great, it looks really good on SDVD. Great flying scenes in this, and Leonardo was so good in it.

Sucks about the audio, on such a great movie though. Just don't get why Warner would leave off the lossless audio.

Last edited by double l; 09-10-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:48 PM

Stopped by my local Best Buy tonight and they already had Aviator out on the shelf. I would have bought it but then I realized both the Blu-ray and HD-DVD versions have plain DD 5.1.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaek View Post
DD+ does the job for me as well, but it looks like the Blu-Ray Version is only getting DD:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65868

DD+ is only optional on Blu-Ray and not Mandatory like on HD DVD. Because they have to include at least one mandatory audio track, they replaced the DD+ track with a DD track. But why don't they just add the normal DD track as an additional track on the BD releases?
Warner only uses 640kbps for their DD+ tracks which sound the same as DD core tracks at 640kbps, however back when Paramount was releasing BDs they did 1.5 mbps DD+ for HD DVD and 640kbps DD core for BDs so the HD DVDs sounded much better