'Last Samurai' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2007, 01:41 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Last Samurai' - High-Def Digest Review

Just posted another new "catch-up review," this time for the Blu-ray edition of 'Last Samurai' (released in November). Back in April of 2006, the HD DVD version of this movie was the very first next-gen title Peter reviewed. Unsurprisingly, both versions are identical and share good marks for high-def video and audio.

In Peter's words, this Blu-ray edition "definitely delivers in terms of great home theater demo material, with beautiful visuals and a top-notch soundtrack."

Full review:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/lastsamurai.html
Old 01-10-2007, 03:12 PM

i would love to have this...i always kept hearing it wasnt the best picture quality
Old 04-12-2011, 12:33 AM

The audio on this disc is terrible.

After recording the credits music into Adobe Audition so I could listen to them away from the movie, I happened to flick to the spectral analysis view (that shows the frequency range) and noticed the entire soundtrack for the movie cuts off at around the 14kHz mark(!!!), with more complex signals like music peaking between the 16kHz and 18kHz bands.

Even an SD Dolby Digital track at 384kbps has a solid frequency range up to 18khz or so. But this was worse than that, with a spectral view that suggests the stems were encoded from VBR MP3s.

Terrible!