Blu-Ray Audio Options confusion - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-03-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Blu-Ray Audio Options confusion

I've read about the different audio formats on Blu-Ray (standard DD 5.1, DolbyTrueHD, DTS Lossless, Uncompressed PCM etc.) but I am still confused about what audio is best to use if you are using a DD/DTS 5.1 reciever with a digital optical cable.
I know you shouldn't use uncompressed PCM 5.1 because it will be downgraded to 2.0, but what of the other formats?
Example: On my 300 blu-ray disc, there is an option for standard DD 5.1 and DolbyTrueHD 5.1. If a DolbyTrueHD track is backwards compatible with a standard DD 5.1 reciever, why have the option at all for standard DD 5.1 on the disc? Is using the standard DD track better since it is not being downgraded?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 PM

TrueHD is not backwards-compatible with standard DD 5.1. If you're connected by Optical cable and choose the TrueHD track, your Blu-ray player will automatically default to the standard DD 5.1 track anyway.

As you correctly stated, if you choose the PCM track, the player will downgrade it to 2.0. So don't choose that one until you upgrade your receiver.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Last edited by Josh Z; 09-03-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:59 PM

Got it thanks. So basically any blu-ray disc that includes PCM or Dolby TrueHD will also include the standard DD track, I suppose. Does the same go for a DTS-HD Lossless track? I remember reading (I could be mistaken) that that audio track can be downgraded to the "core" DTS track, so would I be able to use that?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:29 PM

An optical cable has enough bandwidth to carry DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 (1.5 mbps.)
Old 09-03-2007, 09:32 PM

Okay, I looked it up and I've got it all figured out. DTS-HD can be played as standard DTS on any reciever. I was curious because I noticed at least one title (X-Men 3) had DTS-HD as the only audio option. Good to know, though I should have figured they wouldn't release a movie that you can't listen to properly without a really expensive HDMI reciever.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorheadache View Post
Got it thanks. So basically any blu-ray disc that includes PCM or Dolby TrueHD will also include the standard DD track, I suppose.
Yes, but there are occasions where you might run into trouble. For example, the Kung-Fu Hustle Blu-ray includes the original Cantonese soundtrack only as PCM 5.1. The disc also has a DD 5.1 track, but only for the English dub. So if you can't connect to your receiver by either HDMI or 5.1 analog, your options are to listen to the dub in 5.1 or to the Cantonese track downgraded to 2.0.

That was a stupid oversight on the studio's part. They should have also included a DD 5.1 Cantonese option.

Quote:
Does the same go for a DTS-HD Lossless track? I remember reading (I could be mistaken) that that audio track can be downgraded to the "core" DTS track, so would I be able to use that?
You're absolutely correct. DTS-HD is encoded in layers. There's a central DTS "core" that's equivalent to DTS quality on DVD. Beyond this are extensions for DTS-HD High Resolution or DTS-HD Master Audio. Even if you can't take advantage of the extensions, you will always be able to extract the "core" from the audio track.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.