Slightly concerned about Warner Bros...and the whole thing really - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-02-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Slightly concerned about Warner Bros...and the whole thing really

As the last remaining "neutral" studio in the hi-def format scuffle, Warner Bros holds a pretty significant position in that battle (and a number of the main titles that I would love to see on HD). But there seems to be a disconcerting imbalance in their release schedule. For example, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is already out on HD-DVD (releasing the 4th film in a series first is a bit odd, but I'm sure they have their reasons). There is no scheduled release date yet on Blu Ray. The same goes for the Matrix trilogy (yes, I know the sequels were pretty dire, but with expedient use of chapter skip they can be home edited into great action films ), and they should look awesome in HD). Are WB quietly switching focus away from BD?

On another note....

...overall, I'm pretty disappointed with the releases in general, particularly here in Europe. The current selection is completely uninspiring, mostly mediocre recent films and "oldies" which I can't imagine would improve on their DVD equivalent (were 40 year old films really filmed in such audio and video quality that DVD couldn't do justice to them? )

The only things in the current Blu Ray release schedule that in any way inspire me are Lost series 3 and Blade Runner. There's nothing else out there that I would pay a premium over standard DVD to own. There's simply no movies that I'd want to watch again and again. Add to that the fact that some releases that I'd been looking forward to making the most of of HD (e.g. T2 (incidentally still not officially released in Europe)) apparently offer a neglible improvement over properly upscaled DVD and it's all a bit depressing.

It might sound like pointless subjective whining, but given that HD is the opportunity to take a real step forward in home entertainment, it seems that most studios are treating it as an opportunity to eek a little more revenue out of a lot of mediocre movies rather than give consumers the revolution we've been expecting.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:44 PM

most WB BD titles are either out in other territories and not US or are announced and will be coming.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno View Post
As the last remaining "neutral" studio in the hi-def format scuffle, Warner Bros holds a pretty significant position in that battle (and a number of the main titles that I would love to see on HD). But there seems to be a disconcerting imbalance in their release schedule. For example, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is already out on HD-DVD (releasing the 4th film in a series first is a bit odd, but I'm sure they have their reasons). There is no scheduled release date yet on Blu Ray. The same goes for the Matrix trilogy (yes, I know the sequels were pretty dire, but with expedient use of chapter skip they can be home edited into great action films ), and they should look awesome in HD). Are WB quietly switching focus away from BD?

On another note....

...overall, I'm pretty disappointed with the releases in general, particularly here in Europe. The current selection is completely uninspiring, mostly mediocre recent films and "oldies" which I can't imagine would improve on their DVD equivalent (were 40 year old films really filmed in such audio and video quality that DVD couldn't do justice to them? )

The only things in the current Blu Ray release schedule that in any way inspire me are Lost series 3 and Blade Runner. There's nothing else out there that I would pay a premium over standard DVD to own. There's simply no movies that I'd want to watch again and again. Add to that the fact that some releases that I'd been looking forward to making the most of of HD (e.g. T2 (incidentally still not officially released in Europe)) apparently offer a neglible improvement over properly upscaled DVD and it's all a bit depressing.

It might sound like pointless subjective whining, but given that HD is the opportunity to take a real step forward in home entertainment, it seems that most studios are treating it as an opportunity to eek a little more revenue out of a lot of mediocre movies rather than give consumers the revolution we've been expecting.
Sleep easy my friend. The worst you are going to see is a neutral studio, IMO. Keep your eyes on the press wires over the next couple weeks and you'll see many of those release dates you have been looking for, IMO. I don't care how you choose to compare to DVD sales, selling 200,000+ copies of one of your titles on Blu-ray ("300") can no longer be constured as "not a viable market" to support or nurture. Remember, it was those Blu-ray sales that really secured Warner's status as the studio leader in High Definition sales, not HD DVD.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
most WB BD titles are either out in other territories and not US or are announced and will be coming.
According to WB's own website, the titles that I mention aren't out yet. As for announced, so were the Paramount ones....
Quote:
Originally Posted by atdm71 View Post
Sleep easy my friend. The worst you are going to see is a neutral studio, IMO. Keep your eyes on the press wires over the next couple weeks and you'll see many of those release dates you have been looking for, IMO. I don't care how you choose to compare to DVD sales, selling 200,000+ copies of one of your titles on Blu-ray ("300") can no longer be constured as "not a viable market" to support or nurture. Remember, it was those Blu-ray sales that really secured Warner's status as the studio leader in High Definition sales, not HD DVD.
I sure hope so. I know it's relatively early days for HD and in the end it will enivitably win through. What concerns me is that given the lack of impact of HD sales (both software and hardware) against DVD (due to a dearth of "killer" titles and near-invisible marketing), that manufacturers may go back to the drawing board and reinvent HD as a whole new format in a couple of years (e.g. something that fully utilises HDMI 1.3), rendering current HD-DVD and Blu Ray obselete. Admittedly it's a slim possibility given the amounts invested so far, but I can't believe that anyone has made a profit (panel manufacturers aside) from HD so far. It may be a case of cutting one's losses and starting again with a united fully formalised format a few years down the line.

We need more good titles and more mass consumer buy-in now to avoid that scenario.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:22 PM

I'm more convinced now more than ever, that Warners is firmly behind Blu-ray. They've confirmed mass releases for Q4, including the Harry Potter movies (see recent IFA news). So enhance your calm.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno View Post
I sure hope so. I know it's relatively early days for HD and in the end it will enivitably win through. What concerns me is that given the lack of impact of HD sales (both software and hardware) against DVD (due to a dearth of "killer" titles and near-invisible marketing), that manufacturers may go back to the drawing board and reinvent HD as a whole new format in a couple of years (e.g. something that fully utilises HDMI 1.3), rendering current HD-DVD and Blu Ray obselete. Admittedly it's a slim possibility given the amounts invested so far, but I can't believe that anyone has made a profit (panel manufacturers aside) from HD so far. It may be a case of cutting one's losses and starting again with a united fully formalised format a few years down the line.

We need more good titles and more mass consumer buy-in now to avoid that scenario.
Yeah, I'm not so sure of the likelihood of that scenario. If it were on optical media, you would probably have the same issues all over again.

If carriers can get their bandwidth going, the real wild card for me is Apple, and the whole iTunes phenomena entering into the equation. Apple TV is only in its first generation, remember. They have the best chance to displace disc sales in my opinion, similarly to what's been done with CDs. But my bets are still on optical disc media being around for some time, particularly the role it plays in physical data storage and offline transport. On all fronts, I like how the BDA is structured, balanced on so many usage fronts from camcorders, to PCs and their burners, and of course disc specs and studio support. Blu-ray / BDA has built quite a fortress, and I still very much see it engineered for long term success.

In my opinion the best strategy is a heavy push on the PC front, lock-up the writer / burner market, and dad's like me will edit, burn and play all my media off my iMac, HP PC, Acer, or Dell PC, on Blu-ray disc (and of course, Blu-ray capable players). So from a sequencing perspective, if you're going to cut prices anywhere, do it on the burners first (which I think they are), and load them on as many PCs as humanly possible with free stacks of Blu-ray recordable media. A Blu-ray burner that gives consumers the ability to punch out 50GBs of media content will very naturally lead to a great deal of Blu-ray player purchases for playback, IMO (there's your high def bundled PC and Blu-ray player offer right there). And rest assured from a manufacturers perspective, Blu-ray is looking awfully formidable on this front. (sorry for getting a little off topic )
Old 09-02-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrob View Post
I'm more convinced now more than ever, that Warners is firmly behind Blu-ray. They've confirmed mass releases for Q4, including the Harry Potter movies (see recent IFA news). So enhance your calm.
I want
Matrix Trilogy
V for Vendetta
Constantine

Those are all I want from you WB!

I think alot of the worries people have with "omg BD dosent have interactivity" and bla bla but once BD comes out with BD 2.0 and all the players are Java equiped and all, you will see even a bigger momentum and support on Blu-ray. And that will make WB happier
Old 09-02-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrob View Post
Do you have a link? I can't find this news. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
I want
Matrix Trilogy
V for Vendetta
Constantine

Those are all I want from you WB!

I think alot of the worries people have with "omg BD dosent have interactivity" and bla bla but once BD comes out with BD 2.0 and all the players are Java equiped and all, you will see even a bigger momentum and support on Blu-ray. And that will make WB happier
Precisely the movies I'm longing for!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atdm71 View Post
Do you have a link? I can't find this news. Thanks.
just search THIS site!