Potc suffering from framing issues??? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-31-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Potc suffering from framing issues???

Saw this over on engadgethd.com

Quote:
one of Blu-ray's biggest releases, Pirates of the Caribbean , exhibiting terrible framing issues. It's important to note that the picture quality is intact but heads are being cut off -- and not by swashbuckling pirates. From the provided pics, the film is focused 5% lower than the standard DVD release. This shift therefore causes a loss of the top 5% of the screen and Orlando Bloom's head. There isn't any official response from Disney (we're working on that) just yet, but wow, Disney is going to have some mad Blu-ray owners on its white-gloved hands. In addition, we all know how fanatical first adopters get.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/08/31...raming-issues/
Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 PM

Yes, I read about this. definitely will not purchase this until someone figures out if they fucked it up or not.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:28 PM

What chapter can you find the issue???
Old 08-31-2007, 02:48 PM

And if the BD had been released first, people would be claiming that the DVD was framed 5% higher and is the incorrect framing. The glass is either half full or half empty which ever way you want to look at it. Yes the framing in a few shots are different, which one is correct? No one knows. So people shouldn't be so pompous when they don't know what is the actual framing.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:57 PM

AVS had the original thread and a followup thread with screencaps has been posted. It's pretty clear the BRD has flawed framing. It was compared against the DVD and the HD broadcast version (DVD and HDB match, BRD doesn't). Heads are cut off and set supports are showing on the BRD version. It will be near impossible for Disney to suggest the BRD framing was intentional.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Yes, I read about this. definitely will not purchase this until someone figures out if they fucked it up or not.
ye, I have Dead Mans Chest and I was about to get Pearl but because of this ill just wait a bit longer (To see if Disney would fix it or not)
Old 09-01-2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingproof73 View Post
What chapter can you find the issue???
The one chapter I think that is being discussed here is when Norrington arrives as Sparrow was conked on the head by Turner's master. It is a pretty ugly cut. Have not noticed any other chapters being compromised. I will watch it tonight and let you know if there are any more. Is Disney aware of this and how many discs were botched with this issue?? I think they need to reissue a fixed version for no charge to the consumer like they did with Fifth Element.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
It is screwed up in mine. Dont know if anybody elses is screwed.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmDoNut View Post
Just to respond to the article a bit. Early adopters, who are willing to put down the money for these new formats, are NOT fanatical. We EXPECT to get a quality product for what we paid for. I realize this sort of thing may not happen that much and these things are expected in this early stage. But I take exception to state or imply any sort of blame, fault, or criticism of any kind on the BUYING consumer. Sorry...another Oprah moment. That last line of the article hit a nerve.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:05 AM

Interesting.

I barely remember, but think my version is framed lower. Sinse it is rare to actually have the correct aspect ratio of any theatrical print on video, I won't lose any sleep.