'RoboCop' - Pre-release Buzz - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-29-2007, 01:20 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'RoboCop' - Pre-release Buzz

I just realized we never set up a pre-release buzz thread for this one...

MGM/Fox have announced an October 9th Blu-ray release date for 'RoboCop.'

Disc Details:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1086/robocop_fox.html

Blu-ray fans may remember that MGM had originally planned to issue 'RoboCop' on Blu-ray over a year ago, but that release was scraped only days before its planned release. Although that earlier disc never hit store shelves, it had already been sent to reviewers. To read our review of that unreleased edition of 'RoboCop,' click here.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:42 PM

Please, please, please let's hope Fox has remastered it and includes some of the stuff from the recent DVD anniversary edition.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:45 PM

unfortunately this is the R rated version.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupal View Post
Damn! Guess I'll get the SD.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupal View Post
Do you know that for sure? I see that Amazon finally has some preliminary details up for it (including the 'R' rating), but without official specs from Fox, I'm still hoping that we might see the unrated version. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 08-31-2007, 09:29 PM

Spec haven't been announce, and the Box fox putted on their site the day of the announcement (not available anyway, since it's taken by Die Hard now) was clearly the 20th Anniversary Box Art...
Old 08-31-2007, 10:02 PM

I'm positive Fox will clean up the transfer. I think both Disney and Fox dropped a load in their drawers with the recent Paramount decision, and realize they've got to get their act together. The threat is not really so much that HD-DVD will take it but they'll stall the format war so both formats fade into oblivion. So i think we'll see much more aggressive production values from both companies. (Witness the Die Hard release features). I actually don't care too, too much about special features, but mostly just a sparkling, beautiful transfer so you can appreciate just what an awesome creation Robocop is.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:05 AM

It looks like it will be the unrated version...

I spotted this from the Home Theater forums(sorry, can't post links yet):
"Consumers let MGM and Sony know about their dissatisfaction with the quality of last year's Blu-ray edition of the rated version of cult classic "RoboCop" (before Fox took over distribution of MGM, which incorporates the Orion library). Now, MGM-Fox has responded with a remastered, unrated version of the 1987 film. While there are still no bonus features on the Oct. 9 release ($39.98 U.S. / $49.98 Canada), the studios have completed a new transfer of the original cut with inserts from a cleaned-up version of the master for the extended scenes.

This new Blu-ray version has been authored in MPEG 2 and is presented on a 25GB disc with English 5.1 DTS HD Lossless Master Audio plus French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound. It includes subtitles in English, Spanish, French, Cantonese, and Korean."

Sounds good, except for the single-layer(25GB) and $40 retail price part.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:51 PM

well it could be MPEG @ 24mbits witch is not that bad... 103 min at 24mbits is 18meg...
Old 09-12-2007, 10:53 PM

Even though I watched this on TV over a million times, It is a good film and I hope it looks good on Blu-ray