What does the BDA need to do? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-28-2007, 07:19 PM

Default What does the BDA need to do?

What do y'all think BDA needs to do to regain some momentum in this deal? I'm no diehard blu ray fan, the only reason i got into was i thought the ps3 was a great bargain for a game console and player, but i do think that blu ray is the superior format.

I don't think that blu ray is going to lose, but i do think that hd dvd is gaining some steam. Right now, i think that honestly they are pulling out all the stops and putting out a slightly better product, but i think that is turning around and obviously blu ray is the superior format, just not maybe right now.

Anyways, i think they really need to do something to reclaim a firm grasp on the war. Does anyone else think the same way? I'm not sure what they would do, but i can't help to think that if sony, disney, and fox really put forth maximum effort (like it seems hd dvd is doing) they could end this thing. And that is, after all, what most everyone wants......
Old 08-28-2007, 07:34 PM

-They should make a player that costs $150,this way more people will get them and then they will start buying bluray dvds instead of standard dvds and that right there would help the bluray franchise big time.
They should even make it come with a great deal where the consumer can get five free bluray movies with the purchase of it(any bluray dvd that is out,not just certain titles).

-They need to put every single t.v. show that supports bluray on bluray format,and put them in a regular size bluray dvd case.This way the consumer would want to get a HD version of their t.v. shows,plus the thinner dvd case would be easier to open than those big cardboard boxes,and it would save more shelf space for the consumers to buy more bluray dvds.

-Bluray also needs to put out every movie that supports bluray format on bluray.Even older titles would make people buy them,just to get a cleaner version that the standard dvd wasn't in,plus they would love to replace those cheap cardboard snap cases.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:31 PM

Three things.

#1 Make a no-frills BD player for $200-300. You might not make a ton of profit from the players, but getting a lot of machines out there means steadily increasing profit from BD movie sales.

#2 Killer exclusives. Get the BIG FISH that tons of people want. If LOTR or Star Wars for example were exclusive to BD, a lot of people would be persuaded to buy the cheap player listed above.

#3 Fire the idiot that came up with the current Blu-ray advertising. It's artsy crap that goes over almost everyone's head. Get a simple, to-the-point marketing campaign going that the everyday person can understand.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:04 AM

Blu-Ray is VERY STRONG right now. Most people who post on this site are misguided hddvd fanboys. Don't let them fool you. Sony, BDA and BD is very strong and only getting stronger.
They do need to get a little more price conscious. $199-299 players would do it.
They also need to organize and attack the retail market, which they are starting to do.

Universal Studios will probably be going neutral by Jan. 08. Which will be nice.

Don't let the people who on this site get to you, they are very biased.

BD is STRONG!!!!! So be STRONG!!!!!!!!

Think Blu!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu2 View Post
Blu-Ray is VERY STRONG right now. Most people who post on this site are misguided hddvd fanboys. Don't let them fool you. Sony, BDA and BD is very strong and only getting stronger.
They do need to get a little more price conscious. $199-299 players would do it.
They also need to organize and attack the retail market, which they are starting to do.

Universal Studios will probably be going neutral by Jan. 08. Which will be nice.

Don't let the people who on this site get to you, they are very biased.

BD is STRONG!!!!! So be STRONG!!!!!!!!

Think Blu!!!!!!!!!
Keep on thinking they are gaining momentum. The tide is turning in HD DVDs favor.

Universal will not go neutral in '08. Why would they? They are the major backer behind HD DVD, and now, they have help from Paramount to put HD DVD into the lead. It would have made sense if they left before Paramount's help, but not now. HD DVD will keep Universal and Paramount for a long time coming. You have absolutely no reason to believe Universal will go neutral other than your hopes and dreams. After the recent spike in HD DVD sales, and this holiday season, HD DVD will gain enough ground on Blu-Ray to possibly take the lead within the year. Those low price players will effectively hurt Blu-Ray in a bad way. It's a price race that Blu-Ray can not win - it is impossible for them to beat HD DVD in price.

Why do you give people false hope of Universal going neutral? I know that's what you Blu-Ray guys want, but it ain't gonna happen. Keep dreaming and hoping - it won't get you anywhere.

HD DVD is in the driver's seat right now; not Blu-Ray. The momentum and attach rates can not be denied. Sony is in trouble.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:23 AM

They don't need to do anything,just keep cranking out movies.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonZ28 View Post
Keep on thinking they are gaining momentum. The tide is turning in HD DVDs favor.

Universal will not go neutral in '08. Why would they? They are the major backer behind HD DVD, and now, they have help from Paramount to put HD DVD into the lead. It would have made sense if they left before Paramount's help, but not now. HD DVD will keep Universal and Paramount for a long time coming. You have absolutely no reason to believe Universal will go neutral other than your hopes and dreams. After the recent spike in HD DVD sales, and this holiday season, HD DVD will gain enough ground on Blu-Ray to possibly take the lead within the year. Those low price players will effectively hurt Blu-Ray in a bad way. It's a price race that Blu-Ray can not win - it is impossible for them to beat HD DVD in price.

Why do you give people false hope of Universal going neutral? I know that's what you Blu-Ray guys want, but it ain't gonna happen. Keep dreaming and hoping - it won't get you anywhere.

HD DVD is in the driver's seat right now; not Blu-Ray. The momentum and attach rates can not be denied. Sony is in trouble.
They are probably going neutral in jan 08, very strong rumors. BD is outselling hddvd in every way shape and form. You do not have the NUMBERS TO BACK ANY OF YOUR CLAIMS BD does:

Blu-ray Burner Demand Rises for Q4

Posted August 16, 2007

TDK Taiwan Blu-ray burner manufacturers are reporting that they have received some rather large inquiries and orders for Blu-ray burning PC drives. Because prices for BD burners remains high, orders are usually for anywhere between 2,000 to 3,000 units. However, recent inquires and orders by US and European companies are now ten times that, between 20,000 to 30,000 units, signifying that retailers and computer manufacturers may be preparing for a Blu-ray push this fall.

Taiwan manufacturers note that, at least for now, they will be able to meet demand, but if more manufacturers make orders as large as what they are receiving today, they may fall short. Additionally, the lasers necessary for these burners may run into supply issues if Japanese manufacturers can't keep up with demand.

News

The World is Blu

Posted August 15, 2007

Blu-ray Disc According to a report by Media Control GfK International regarding international high definition sales during the first half of the year, Blu-ray is benefiting from a nearly 3:1 sales advantage in non-US countries. The report states that 650,000 movies were sold on the Blu-ray format the first two quarters, compared to only 240,000 on HD DVD.

While these numbers are easily dwarfed by US sales (which reported earlier as 2.2M units), this report does show that worldwide, Blu-ray is the dominant format. There are many reasons to account for lower high definition sales internationally, including cost of hardware and availability of software. As these two issues are resolved, expect Blu-ray numbers to catch up with the US, and eventually, surpass it.

3:

Blu-ray Disc Sales Continue Dominance

Posted August 14, 2007

Blu-ray Disc According to Home Media Research, during the first half of 2007 a total of 1.6M movies were sold on the Blu-ray format. Rival HD DVD sold less than half during the same time period, with a total of 795,000 movies sold. Since the launch of the formats, Blu-ray has amassed sales of 2.2M movies compared to just 1.5M on HD DVD (which includes data collected through July).

Blu-ray continues to maintain a 2:1 sales advantage over its rival heading into the all-important holiday shopping season, and with the long list of upcoming Blu-ray releases, including 'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End' and 'Spider-man 3', that sales advantage will continue to increase. Consumers are overwhelmingly showing their support for Blu-ray, a fact that has not escaped many studios and retailers who recently announced Blu-ray exclusivity.

The recent release of Warner Brothers '300' gave a sales boost to both formats. The Blu-ray version sold 190,000 copies since the title went on sale, compared to 97,000 on HD DVD, according to Warner's Steve Nickerson. Since the majority of these sales occurred in August, Blu-ray is expecting to report strong numbers for the month.

4:
News

Blu-ray Sees Worldwide Growth

Posted August 13, 2007

Sony Pictures After beginning worldwide shipments of Blu-ray movies this past April, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has seen substantial growth in its high definition business. These territories, including Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Eastern Europe, South America, and the Middle East, now represent 10% of their total Blu-ray business. In June alone, SPHE reported a 21% increase in orders across these regions.

T. Paul Miller, senior VP of international at SPHE noted, "It is extremely positive to see an increase in volume of Blu-ray software sales in these markets where piracy has previously ravaged the DVD business."

Currently, Sony is the only studio supporting Blu-ray distribution in these areas, but they hope that their success will inspire other Blu-ray studios to add their content to these regions as well.

5:

News

Blu-ray Players Outpassing Rival HD DVD

Posted August 11, 2007

Panasonic DMP-BD10 Retailers are reporting that, despite HD DVD's price advantage, Blu-ray stand alone players are selling better than HD DVD stand alone players, and could be selling much more if supply could keep up with demand. Abt Electronics and Ultimate Electronics have reported that sales of Blu-ray players have increased dramatically since the introduction of low cost 2nd-generation players, and that current supplies are very tight.

John Abt, VP of Abt Electronics commented, "With all of the introductions of Blu-ray product, we have seen more sales in BD than in HD DVD, because there are so many options now out for consumers."

“We were seeing a 50/50 split in unit sales,” Bjorn Dybdahl, president of Bjorn's said. “That was primarily all three Toshiba players versus Sony's $499 players. If the Blu-ray group wants to put a death knell on HD DVD, then they need to get it everywhere very quickly.”

Do your research before you post, please. You have no hard # to go buy. BD is going to be around for quite some time. Like it or not.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:39 AM

+ BD has a ton of Blockbuster movies coming out this holiday season. I do agree that Sony needs cheaper players. I think 199-299 price range would be sufficient for the average consumer to gooble up!! Just like the price of the Wii, that should do it.

Which those are on the way!!! Prices will be close to even between the 2 formats, don't you worry.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 AM

We'll see what happens. Your sales numbers may just change in HD DVD's favor very soon. Don't be disappointed when Universal is still on HD DVD only in Jan 08. Rumors are unfounded garbage that people like you make up and spread around like wildfire.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonZ28 View Post

I agree with some of what you say. However...I dont think Sony is in trouble. They have been leading every month so far in sales and BD still has Disney, Sony, and Fox which is a big plus. I dont see how you take a little momentum(Paramount exclusive) and say that hd dvd is in the drivers seat. Up until the Paramount annoncement, blu was gaining some serious steam. While it is true that hd dvd price is better, they still lack the disc capacity that I think will matter to many of the studios. Blades of Glory is an example of this. The blu-ray version was going to have better audio and an exclusive feature that hd dvd could not do due to disc capacity(so I have read). This war is going to take longer than you think and it may not bode well for both formats in the long run.