Does genre affect which movies you buy in HD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-25-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Does genre affect which movies you buy in HD?

I thought of this while reading the Van Wilder review. For some reason, I really have no interest in buying a comedy on Blu-ray, yet a good action/adventure movie comes out, I buy it, and I feel totally justified. I guess there isn't a terribly rational reason for this, since comedies can look and sound just as good as other types of movies, but I definitely am more likely to buy them on DVD and upscale them than any other genre.

Anyone else have certain tendencies about their movie purchasing habits related to genre?
Old 08-25-2007, 01:47 AM
Banned

Oh yeah. I wont waste money on a comedy on hd dvd either. I think my wife bought the break up in hd. I pretended it was cool, but wtf? I could watch that movie in black and white and not care.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:54 AM

I can see where you are coming from. Comedies generally don't have stunning visuals so the need for HD is less.

That being said any movie is better in High Def if the source is up to the task. Look at movies like Hot Fuzz. It is a comedy and an action film, HD definitely does good in that situation.

In the case of Superbad it would be stupid for the studio not to release it in HD (and dumb for the consumer to not buy it in HD) because the movie was shot on HD (Panavision Genesis).

Again, if the source is up to it, Comedies in HD can be just as good or better then an action movie.

Then again, when I buy movies in HD I don't look at genre. I think if I want/like the film. If the answer is yes, I'll buy it if I

a) don't have it
b) want a better/High Def tansfer
c) like the movie enough to double dip
Old 08-25-2007, 02:24 AM

Genre does affect my purchases. The majority of my HD titles are action, adventure, horror and/or sci-fi genre. The couple of comedies I've purchased in HD have left me somewhat unenthused. I think HD movies should push the envelope, so to speak. While the couple I've tried do look and sound good there just isn't enough there for HD to push.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:38 AM

Genres have some affect on my hd or blu ray purchases .If i really like something i'll buy it normally but for something like a dramatic tv season series like Heroes that is expensive and isn't anything fancy as far as effects or locations go i'd just stick with eps i've saved from tv.
Can't afford everything.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:17 AM

they way i see it, if the title is available in BD, ill be getting it. Dosent matter to the Genre itself. Now for older titles that im gonna be upgrading, then correct, I have no means of going back and picking up romantic comedies and just random stuff like that on BD unless I really liked (I own Hitch on BD, UMD, DVD) or I got the money to burn while ill be and currently am upgrading alot of action titles as they become available.

But as new titles come, if a BD version is available, dosent matter of the genre, BD it is.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
they way i see it, if the title is available in BD, ill be getting it. Dosent matter to the Genre itself. Now for older titles that im gonna be upgrading, then correct, I have no means of going back and picking up romantic comedies and just random stuff like that on BD unless I really liked (I own Hitch on BD, UMD, DVD) or I got the money to burn while ill be and currently am upgrading alot of action titles as they become available.

But as new titles come, if a BD version is available, dosent matter of the genre, BD it is.
pretty much what i think.

titles i don't already own - regardless of genre, if they're available in HD, then why not?

titles i already own - as i've stated before, i need to really like the movie, in which case i'll rebuy it regardless of genre.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:21 AM

Yes indeed. I do prefer to buy movies with a lot of action (visual effects and fast motion) and adventure (good looking locations) in HD. Those movies are made to impress visually, so naturally they are going to look mych better in HD. Those kinds of movies generally tend to have a rich soundtrack too.

But this is not only our perception and we are not just imagining things. Action oriented movies do really technically have a bigger bump in visual quality than other genres. The thing with Comedies, Drama and TV series is that they generally consist of static bright scenes and lots of conversation. That kind of content is much easier to compress than a fast moving action scene.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Former Member

I would NOT buy any older TV series (older meaning less than 3 years ago) due to the absolutely piss poor resolution I've seen in the past from those titles. They may give them uber-upgrades and remastering, but I'm beyond skeptical.

If it's horror, especially dark toned, I buy it. Action/explosions/typical guy movies are great in HD.

Comedies, I agree, don't really NEED hd.

My thing is, FOREIGN film. Foreign isn't necessarily a Genre, as it can be comedy, action, drama, etc. But I TRY to not buy too many, as reading the subtitles draws my eye away from focusing on the hi-defness of it. I LOVE foreign film, and am not knocking it or saying I want crappy dubs, but it is a distraction from what you're paying the extra money for.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:45 AM

Genre certainly affects my purchases.I really don't need to see a comedy or drama in HD,I think the majority of my HD purchases will be action/Sci-fi/fantasy/CGI.Of course,I'm new to Blu-ray so that may change once I've become used to Hidef movies,I may not be able to buy regular dvd anymore.We'll see...