Superbit - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-23-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Superbit

sony released superbit sd-dvds that took up maybe six or seven gigs (out of 8.5).

the "spider-man" and "spider-man 2" blu-ray discs will probably take up between 20 to 30 gigs (out of 50). sony might as well start marketing "superbit blu-ray".
Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Former Member

Superbit dvds DID have improved pq and aq vs their standard editions. Whether they filled disc capacity, hey I dunno, I don't care too much either. But they were a very interesting idea, and eventually made up for the lack of features with the 2 disc editions and the ultimate editions (5th element, Leon).

and if this is just some "sony sucks" thread, why didn't you put it in Smackdown? come on.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:21 PM

i'm not trying to start a fight here. i'm just wondering about sony's approach.

i found that most superbits were marginal improvements at best over the regular editions. the problem with most titles was that few of them were cleaned up/restored/re-mastered. for example, look at "dracula" superbit. the film print is so dirty that i stopped watching it after twenty minutes.

someone suggested that it's possible that "spider-man" and "spider-man 2" could be released with just 25g discs. what a step back!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 PM

It's already been confirmed by paidgeek that both are on BD50.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:42 PM

the "das boot" superbit was especially disappointing. the original superbit promise was to have only the original language for audio in dd 5.1 and dts 5.1. imagine my surprise when i found out that a 5.1 english dub was there to gobble up space. meanwhile, the director's audio commentary was not on the superbit. thus, to get the commentary, you gotta buy the first sd-dvd release. if you also want the original TV series, then you gotta buy the six-hour cut, too. that's a lot of moolah (and disc changing), especially when i have ZERO use for the english dub. ugh.