RoboCop Blu-Ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-19-2007, 10:01 PM

Default RoboCop Blu-Ray?

Hey fellas,
I'm sure this topic has been broached before, but what's going on with the Blu-Ray Robocop release? I've held off on buying the Criterion DVD edition (which I can actually find) because I think there could be no greater joy than watching Robo's smooth moves in hi-def But it seems like the BD Robocop has been discontinued or something? And that if there is one available it sucks?

What's the word? Is there a new edition of it coming? Please God tell me that's the case
Old 08-19-2007, 10:11 PM

See this link:
http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=244
Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 PM

Or better yet, read Josh Zyber's review on DVDTalk for what almost got released. It's funny, with lines like "The people responsible for it should hang their heads in shame and never work in the industry again." It also gives a good history on the various releases.

It sounds like a whole new re-master is needed for high def and given the backlog of Fox HD releases promised for this year at CES, I'm not expecting Robocop in HD anytime soon.

Hmmm - maybe my Criterion Robocop would be good for tonight . . .
Old 08-19-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Or better yet, read Josh Zyber's review on DVDTalk for what almost got released. It's funny, with lines like "The people responsible for it should hang their heads in shame and never work in the industry again." It also gives a good history on the various releases.

It sounds like a whole new re-master is needed for high def and given the backlog of Fox HD releases promised for this year at CES, I'm not expecting Robocop in HD anytime soon.

Hmmm - maybe my Criterion Robocop would be good for tonight . . .
Wow...

As I was reading the review of this at dvdtalk.com I checked out some of the other reviews. I guess this reviewer has a problem separating his dislike for Mel Gibson from his reviewing job. Apocalypto is one of my favorite films and also seems to be quite popular with most people I have talked to but this guy trashed it to no end.

The real life Mel Gibson sounds like a real jerk but does that really change whether or not his movies are good?

EDIT: I guess the review of the Gibson movie was by a different guy at that site: Daniel Hirshleifer.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:47 PM

Do not get the Criterion edition as it is not anamorphic. I just sold mine on Ebay. I am buying the new SDVD this week. It is the unrated version.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo976 View Post
Wow...

As I was reading the review of this at dvdtalk.com I checked out some of the other reviews. I guess this reviewer has a problem separating his dislike for Mel Gibson from his reviewing job. Apocalypto is one of my favorite films and also seems to be quite popular with most people I have talked to but this guy trashed it to no end.

The real life Mel Gibson sounds like a real jerk but does that really change whether or not his movies are good?

EDIT: I guess the review of the Gibson movie was by a different guy at that site: Daniel Hirshleifer.
You beat me to it!

I was going to point out that review was from a different reviewer and saw your edit in the 'reply'. While Daniel also does good reviews, I think he let his bias against Mel Gibson get in the way of his objectivity on this one. Yes, it sounds like Mel is a real jerk in real life, but I highly doubt he's the total jerk among the 'mover & shakers' of Hollywood.

And I agree he's way off on the review - Apocalypto is also one of my favorite Blu-rays - great audio & video quality and the movie itself.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 PM

cant wait Robocop 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition 21st August 2007
good thing i did not pickup the trilogy box set

• Disc One:
o Theatrical Cut
o Audio commentary by director Paul Verhoven, writer Ed Neumeier and executive producer Jon Davison
o Flesh And Steel: The Making Of Robocop featurette
o Shooting Robocop 1987 featurette
o Making Robocop 1987 featurette
o The Boardroom: Storyboard With Commentary By Animator Phil Tippet featurette
o Deleted Scenes
OCP Press Conference
Nun In The Street Interview
Topless Pizza
Final Media Break
o Photo Gallery
Design (13)
Special Effects (16)
Director Paul Verhoven (22)
Behind The Scenes (20)
Cast (11)
ED 209 (18)
o Theatrical Trailer
o TV Spot

• Disc Two:
o All new featurettes:
Villains Of Old Detroit featurette
Special Effects: Then And Now featurette
Robocop: Creating A Legend featurette
o Extended Cut
o Paul Verhoven easter egg
o Trailers and TV spots
o Teaser 1 & 2
o Theatrical trailers
Old 08-21-2007, 12:00 AM

This was the first R rated movie I ever saw! Excellent!

I'm going to buy 2 copies... just in case the first one explodes.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:04 AM

I'm keeping a close eye on this one. I wanna be sure this transfer sparkles before I buy.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Formerly candymangt

The original version of RoboCop that was to release on BluRay in Fall 2006 from what I read was a stinking pile of crap. I wasn't going to buy the 20th Anniv. SD version of Robocop today since they announced the BluRay version again last night by FOX. I have this very bad stinking suspicion that we might not get the best transfer or as we have seen with plenty of FOX releases...................bare bones movies for over $29.99 to $39.99 depending on where you are shopping.

I think that I'm just going to break down and pick up the 20th Anniversary and see October 9th if this releases as to how the PQ will be. I can always pop this into my Toshiba A2 or PS3 and have it upscale for now.