Insider says how Sony picks the video codec per title - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-17-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Insider says how Sony picks the video codec per title

I saw this over at the AVSforum insider's thread and thought that it was most interesting. VC1 titles may be coming from the sounds of this... Good news to me because I like the results of VC1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek
Quote:
Hello Paidgeek,

1)Is sony going to add Blu-ray authoring to Vegas software?

2)What software do you guys use for authoring Blu-ray discs? Does sony only use Blu-print?

3)Is sony ever going to use VC1 for any title? Does sony currently have a VC1 encoder (for test purposes)?

4)How do you guys decide to use MPEG2 or AVC for different titles? (for instance why didnt you encode Immortal beloved in AVC?)

Thank you
I think SCS may have an announcement about Vegas 8, but you'll have to wait for the details.

SPE uses Blu-print for Blu-ray authoring, as does just about everyone else authoring commercial titles.

We may use VC1 at some point, but we do not have an active license for it at this moment... we are working on that...

Encoder choice is based on sample encodes and bit rate requirements. Presently we compress the majority of our titles with the Sony AVC encoder.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:30 PM

so Sony started with Mpeg 2, now AVC and in the future VC-1.

so Sony does want to use VC-1