Disney confirms four 2008 tentpole Blu-ray titles - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-17-2007, 04:28 AM
HDD Founder

Default Disney confirms four 2008 tentpole Blu-ray titles

In an unusual announcement, Disney has confirmed four tentpole Blu-ray titles for 2008:

Quote:
Referenced in the release for the first time publicly are upcoming Blu-ray releases for 'Sleeping Beauty' (Disney's first classic animated title to hit next-gen disc), 'Finding Nemo,' 'National Treasure,' and 'The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.'

Though exact street dates have not yet been announced, the studio has provided seasonal guidance for all four titles, and promises each will push the boundaries of what has been seen so far on the Blu-ray format.
Full story:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/870
Old 08-17-2007, 04:38 AM
Banned

FINALLY NATIONAL TREASURE!

Been waiting for that one for a while..

Probably will be out, oddly enough, around the time the second one gets put onto dvd/blu ray.. it better be...

Last edited by Ice2Dragon; 08-17-2007 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:31 AM

Have to start saving up for next year already

Think I'll have to get all of these!!
Old 08-17-2007, 05:57 AM

finding nemo most likely, but thats about it
Old 08-17-2007, 07:04 AM

WHOA! Where did this come from?? I would have thought they would be making these annoncements around the early part of next year. I am going to get all of them. 3 for my daughter, National Treasure is mine.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:17 AM

Well I'm happy they are releasing these titles but "The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe" was schedule to be released this fall, then it got pushed back to "in time for the holidays" & now it's supposed to be released in the spring of next year. Hopefully it doesn't get pushed back further.

What's the hold up with this title. It's supposed to be their next big title they're working on. So no big titles until the spring of next year? Way to go Disney. Big support for our Blu side. Sorry people don't get mad at Disney & Fox on this forum like they do at www.blu-ray.com which is a blu-ray forum.

There is a time to hold studios accountable for their decisions.

Maybe if they weren't so busy doing their mall tour they would have it in time for the holidays. Get your priorities straight. I'm not against the mall tour I think it's a great thing but if it's holding releases back then I have a problem with it.

National Treasure & Finding Nemo are items I'll definitely be buying but I hate to wait until next summer & fall to get them.

I love Blu-ray but I've come to find out it's the wait format & no one seems to care you have to wait.

Forget Sleeping Beauty no interest there.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
Well I'm happy they are releasing these titles but "The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe" was schedule to be released this fall, then it got pushed back to "in time for the holidays" & now it's supposed to be released in the spring of next year. Hopefully it doesn't get pushed back further.

What's the hold up with this title. It's supposed to be their next big title they're working on. So no big titles until the spring of next year? Way to go Disney. Big support for our Blu side. Sorry people don't get mad at Disney & Fox on this forum like they do at www.blu-ray.com which is a blu-ray forum.

There is a time to hold studios accountable for their decisions.

Maybe if they weren't so busy doing their mall tour they would have it in time for the holidays. Get your priorities straight. I'm not against the mall tour I think it's a great thing but if it's holding releases back then I have a problem with it.

National Treasure & Finding Nemo are items I'll definitely be buying but I hate to wait until next summer & fall to get them.

I love Blu-ray but I've come to find out it's the wait format & no one seems to care you have to wait.

Forget Sleeping Beauty no interest there.
Right... cause the people involved with the mall tour are obviously the same people doing the transcode for these films. Stupid promotional stuff!

:rollseyes:

And sleeping beauty is a big deal. Even if you don't want it.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:33 AM

Sleeping Beauty is my absolute all time fave Disney animation... so I've very excited that this will be coming to Blu first!

Nemo will also look gorgeous, there's little doubt about that.

But it does seem an awful long time to wait. These releases could really get the public to sit up and take note of the new HD era... but fall 2008 releases makes me think that Disney are in no rush to help push the new format.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellsworth View Post
Right... cause the people involved with the mall tour are obviously the same people doing the transcode for these films. Stupid promotional stuff!

:rollseyes:

And sleeping beauty is a big deal. Even if you don't want it.
My quote was meant as a joke. I was just not happy that "The Lion, The Witch, & the Wardrobe" has been pushed back from this fall to the end of the year to the spring.

I just wish Disney would release titles more frequently. Go to www.blu-ray.com which is a blu-ray forum. For some reason people there get upset like I do about push-backs. People on this forum get upset if you mention them.

I honestly didn't believe the people doing the mall tour was the same people involved with the incodes. It was meant more as joke that if Disney put as much effort into advertising as they did encodes we would get titles quicker.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Full press release

Quote:
WALT DISNEY STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES
THE DISNEY BLU-RAY TITLE WAVE COMING 2008

Burbank, CA, August 17, 2007 -- Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WDSHE) announced today more innovations in the Blu-ray format with the Studio's first ever Platinum Blu-ray release, the Studio's first BD-Live title, and full motion picture-in-picture Blu-ray bonus features.

The Studio announced the first animated Platinum coming to Blu-ray will be the timeless treasure Sleeping Beauty. Releasing Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray marks a milestone for the format as these titles are not released until a format has been proven both technologically and in terms of consumer acceptance -- and Disney's animated releases in the past have been a major catalysis for any format's growth. Pinocchio's release on VHS and Snow White's release on DVD marked major growth milestones for both of those formats. The Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray Disc release will also include a virtual castle and multi-player activities -- both utilizing the BD-Live technology.

"The Platinum titles are the crown jewels of the Disney Studios and we do not take releasing them lightly on any format. The proven Blu-ray technology has allowed us to take our films to new heights, fully utilizing the larger capacity and interactive capabilities for an incredible all-new consumer experience," commented Bob Chapek, President of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment.

In addition, WDSHE announced the special edition release of the action-adventure blockbuster National Treasure, which will become the Studio's first BD-Live Blu-ray Disc title. In addition, the Studio will bring two of its treasured family classics to Blu-ray Disc, Disney/Pixar's Finding Nemo and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, both of which will feature full motion picture-in-picture bonus features,

"The strides that we've made with this format are just the tip of the iceberg and we are confident that consumers will be astounded by the level of entertainment that can only be achieved by using the maximum capacity of the Blu-ray Disc format. All of these wonderful titles will appeal to the ever growing Blu-ray market and we are extremely proud to offer these in the most pristine and robust presentations ever for Disney fans around the globe," continued Chapek.

This exciting slate of Blu-ray Disc releases will begin with The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in spring 2008, followed by National Treasure in summer of 2008 and culminating with Disney/Pixar's Finding Nemo and Sleeping Beauty in fall 2008.

About Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, a recognized leader in the home entertainment industry, is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax and Buena Vista product which includes DVD, Blu-ray Disc, and electronic distribution. Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment is a division of The Walt Disney Studios.