Nineteen Eighty-Four (Criterion) - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-05-2019, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default Nineteen Eighty-Four (Criterion) - HDD Review

The Criterion Collection upgrades Michael Radford's timely adaptation of George Orwell's 1984 for its second outing on Blu-ray with a fresh new 4K restoration, two impressive audio mixes, and a slew of terrific bonus features. The film is a worthwhile adaptation that may not completely hit every moment for moment of the book, but it's a bleak vision made beautiful by Rodger Deakins' cinematography and incredible performances from John Hurt, Richard Burton, and Suzanna Hamilton. Even if you own the previous Twilight Time release, call this one Highly Recommended.

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/71913/1984.html
Old 08-05-2019, 09:58 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Dearest Criterion, how I love thee. But why oh why do we do a 4K restoration but not a 4K release?

Thanks for the comparison pictures. Although I like the TT color timing better, the Criterion version has more clarity. It's like TT used a DNR scrub or something as it blurs the detail a bit. The review indicates the Criterion colors are a bit cooler, but I had always associated cooler color temp with more blue, so to me that means the TT release is cooler. Am I wrong here? Soft white light bulb = yellowish, cool white = more bluish.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Dearest Criterion, how I love thee. But why oh why do we do a 4K restoration but not a 4K release?
So far there are zero Criterion 4K releases, I'm sure the cost is still too high for them and they don't view the market penetration as high enough,since they're already a niche product and that would make them a niche in a niche.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:13 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
So far there are zero Criterion 4K releases, I'm sure the cost is still too high for them and they don't view the market penetration as high enough,since they're already a niche product and that would make them a niche in a niche.
They could enter the market, but only release the titles they are more sure will make money. This movie could be a viable candidate. At the end of the day their business is to turn a profit, and their passion for obscure titles is high. But they generally have a good idea which ones will sell a ton and which ones might break even or slightly better.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post

Thanks for the comparison pictures. Although I like the TT color timing better, the Criterion version has more clarity. It's like TT used a DNR scrub or something as it blurs the detail a bit. The review indicates the Criterion colors are a bit cooler, but I had always associated cooler color temp with more blue, so to me that means the TT release is cooler. Am I wrong here? Soft white light bulb = yellowish, cool white = more bluish.
"Cool" may not have been the right term - "silverish" or "metallic" would have been better. In his interview, Deakins said he was aiming for this sterile metallic feel. Watching them side by side the CC colors work better thematically and this transfer had Deakins' eye on it.

As for why Criterion doesn't produce 4K UHD releases, my personal guess is its because it'd be one more niche within a niche to try and satisfy. They know they cater to a small group of film fans as it is and then they caught so much flack from people when they tried to do Blu/DVD combos only that I can imagine them not wanting to wander into those woods.