Godzilla: The showa-era films, 19541975 - October 29 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-25-2019, 03:40 PM

Default Godzilla: The showa-era films, 19541975 - October 29

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/755...s19541975.html
Old 07-25-2019, 09:59 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Spine Number 1000.

I was really hoping Spine 1000 would be reserved for Criterion's first 4K release.

This announcement doesn't disappoint me though. I have seen some of the cover arts for the titles inside. They're reinvented, but actually pretty classy. The main cover art though looks like a stained glass window. Not sure I care for it.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:51 AM

OH HELL FUCKING YEAH!!!!!!

All 15 movies in Japanese with subtitles in one set from one company. I never thought it would ever actually happen, but at long last it did. Fuck the haters, this is going to be the greatest Godzilla set ever.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:23 PM

For you Godzilla fans I am happy you are getting such a complete set. I'm not a fan of Godzilla. The original is okay, but I don't like the sequels. To each their own.

And, even thought I'm not a Godzilla fan, I think this a fitting set for #1000.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:25 PM

Most Godzilla fans were waiting for either a reprint of Son of Godzilla and Godzilla VS Mechagodilla, or a Bluray release. This set will make it so fans can have ALL Godzilla films on Bluray for the first time. I can't afford this set, and can't justify it, but I'm going to cross my fingers and hope for solo releases of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and SoG. They are the only ones I need.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:19 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Except for the first one, Godzilla 1954, if you visit Criterion's site you can click each movie and it shows the new artwork:
https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/26...ilms-1954-1975
Old 07-27-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Most Godzilla fans were waiting for either a reprint of Son of Godzilla and Godzilla VS Mechagodilla, or a Bluray release. This set will make it so fans can have ALL Godzilla films on Bluray for the first time. I can't afford this set, and can't justify it, but I'm going to cross my fingers and hope for solo releases of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and SoG. They are the only ones I need.
You do realize the SRP is basically $15 a movie, right? Come the B&N 50% off sale, it's going to be $7.50ish a movie. How is that not affordable?
Old 07-27-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
You do realize the SRP is basically $15 a movie, right? Come the B&N 50% off sale, it's going to be $7.50ish a movie. How is that not affordable?
Because I'm not made of money. I have an entertainment budget. I'm still trying to keep up with the 4Ks I want, and I have every godzilla movie either on Bluray or DVD, other than the two I mentioned. It's not a priority at all.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Because I'm not made of money. I have an entertainment budget. I'm still trying to keep up with the 4Ks I want, and I have every godzilla movie either on Bluray or DVD, other than the two I mentioned. It's not a priority at all.
Fair enough. I just find it funny when people talk about how they can't afford it despite it still being a few month's away, so they have plenty of time to save up for it.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:17 AM

I was hoping to use the B&N 50% off sale for it, but it doesn't look like it's included, I may give it a few days just to see.