Police Story 1 & 2 (Criterion) - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-07-2019, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Default Police Story 1 & 2 (Criterion) - HDD Review

His feet fly fast. His fists are furious. His comedic timing is hilarious! He's the one and only Jackie Chan in two of his best genre and career-defining films Police Story 1 & 2. The Criterion Collection gives these two edge-of-your-seat action-packed comedies the true collector's edition treatment they've long needed - and deserved - in North America. With excellent image transfers, terrific audio mixes, and an exhausting collection of bonus features - don't let this one pass you by! If you love action movies, if you love comedies, if you love bothaction movies and comedies - Police Story / Police Story 2 from the Criterion Collection is a Must Own set.

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/687...icestory2.html
Old 05-07-2019, 09:15 PM

Might pick this up at some point, since I'm a fan of the Chan Man. Though if the release is based off 4K restoration, wouldn't that suggest a UHD release will likely happen in future?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
Might pick this up at some point, since I'm a fan of the Chan Man. Though if the release is based off 4K restoration, wouldn't that suggest a UHD release will likely happen in future?
Many if not most of Criterion's latest releases have a 4K scan. Yet there is no indication they plan to start releasing UHD's. To be honest, I don't think it's going to happen. Half of their customers, if not more, still only buy the DVD releases. And with Criterion having started their own streaming service, I think they see the writing on the wall. I think we'll be lucky if they're still producing Blu-Ray's in 5 years.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Many if not most of Criterion's latest releases have a 4K scan. Yet there is no indication they plan to start releasing UHD's. To be honest, I don't think it's going to happen. Half of their customers, if not more, still only buy the DVD releases. And with Criterion having started their own streaming service, I think they see the writing on the wall. I think we'll be lucky if they're still producing Blu-Ray's in 5 years.
Erm, isn't Criteron mainly known for their discs being high quality (also, region locked basically always)? If they did switch to streaming only that would lose them a lot of the entusiast market, yeah? Plus, would they be streaming bonus material as well? That isn't a bad idea really. They could find a niche by being a streaming service that specializes in lesser known titles and for having ample bonus materials up for streaming as well.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
Erm, isn't Criteron mainly known for their discs being high quality (also, region locked basically always)? If they did switch to streaming only that would lose them a lot of the entusiast market, yeah? Plus, would they be streaming bonus material as well? That isn't a bad idea really. They could find a niche by being a streaming service that specializes in lesser known titles and for having ample bonus materials up for streaming as well.
I subscribe to their streaming service and, yes, they do include the extras. Maybe not all of the extras, but many of the films have extras.

I do agree that streaming doesn't have the PQ/AQ available even on Blu-Ray. But it's better than DVD quality. And it's only going to improve. Most experts agree that it won't be long until streaming will be just as good as UHD, even better.

While I'm not crazy about the idea, the writing is on the wall. Physical media's days are numbered. I'm sure it will continue to exist for many more years but, for better or worse, streaming is where we are headed.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:55 PM

Canít wait for the next Criterion sale at B&N!
Old 05-09-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
Canít wait for the next Criterion sale at B&N!
This set is so worth it - it took me extra long to review this one because I kept rewinding the stunts to watch them again, it probably took me like 4 hours each movie lol!