Reservoir Dogs disc rot - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-01-2019, 06:48 PM

Default Reservoir Dogs disc rot

So I went to watch Reservoir Dogs last night, and the pristine disc wouldn’t work in the Oppo, the Panny player or Xbone S. I purchased in February 07, guess its disc rot.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:02 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Sounds like rot to me. Maybe Josh Z can chime in here... there was a certain era of discs that Criterion had, but they offered replacements. Wonder if this was around the same time and/or same replication plant. You could always email LionsGate to see what they say.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:16 PM

I remember reading a few years back that a lot of these early Lionsgate blu-rays (like Reservoir Dogs, Terminator 2, Total Recall, etc.) were beginning to show signs of "disc rot". Personally, I haven't seen this happening to mine though. I checked my copy of Reservoir Dogs just now and it plays fine. The underside of the disc looks fine too (no yellowing/browning on it).

Here in Canada, Lionsgate video releases were handled by a company called Maple Pictures. Everything about their releases were identical to the Lionsgate releases in the US (except there was the Maple Pictures logo on the case artwork and disc artwork). I'm wondering if maybe Maple Pictures used better blu-rays than Lionsgate ones.