'Discovery Atlas: China Revealed' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-16-2007, 12:22 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Discovery Atlas: China Revealed' - High-Def Digest review

Kenneth's review of 'Discovery Atlas: China Revealed' on Blu-ray is up. Although he gives this one a near perfect video score, he says this is the weakest of the four "Atlas" high-def releases, and recommends it only to completists and those with a special interest in China.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/728/...arevealed.html
Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Am I just being grumpy?

Anyone else wish they'd stop reviewing these travel discs?
Old 08-16-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouty View Post
why stop reviewing them? Dont get me wrong, i dont always agree with lots of reviews here but why stop the travel ones?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 PM

i didn't like this show when i saw it on TV. they completely ignored the people and places in the urban areas in the Southern region of China and they presented nothing about Hong Kong. the hand-over of HK back to China is pretty important and affected the Chinese population there fairly significantly but they make no mention of it. it's a huge mistake, imo.

and i agree, Spader as the narrator was odd. they could've had actors like BD Wong or Ming Na do the narration if all the other shows in the series uses actors who were from the countries that they presented.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouty View Post
It's more cultural expose' and goes over some of the history. It's not really a "Tim Lapage" travel video.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:47 PM

I have to agree with the review, good picture quality but weak content. The show should have been atleast three times the length and get much deeper on history and subjects at hand. But unfortunately it did not, and therefore appears like nothing more than a slightly more intellectual travel show.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:39 PM

"travel disc"?