Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Olive Signature Collection) - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Default Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Olive Signature Collection) - HDD Review

They're coming! They're everywhere! You're next! The pod people land again on Blu-ray with Olive Film's Signature special edition of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Legendary director Don Siegel delivered one of the tightest, most-suspenseful and outright terrifying work of science fiction at a time when the genre was treated as kid's stuff. After countless remakes and imitators, this terrific flick endures and still delivers the thrills and chills. Olive brings Invasion of the Body Snatchers back to Blu-ray with a new HD restoration that enjoys some small improvements in quality, a solid audio mix, and a whole host of insightful and interesting new and archival bonus features. Highly Recommended.

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/630...ollection.html
Old 10-10-2018, 11:46 AM

For $25 it better be good quality!!! I've never seen this version nor the 90s remake. Trying to decide if I should blind buy it or see if I can rent them first.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:50 AM

One point of clarification: There's no effective difference between a 1.0 mono track and a 2.0 mono track. One sends all the audio directly to the center channel, while the other splits it identically between the front left and right. As soon as you turn on any form of Dolby ProLogic, DSU, DTS Neo:X, Neural:X, etc. processing, that 2.0 signal will all get matrixed into the center channel anyway.

Even if you turn off the matrixing and play 2.0 mono from the left and right speakers, the sound is still mono and will image between them, sounding like it's coming from the center.

Assuming you have a good center speaker, it may be better to play the sound from there to avoid comb filtering artifacts if you move you head at all while watching.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:24 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Looking at the still shots, they are nearly identical with similar details revealed, but the Olive release looks just a tad darker. Obviously they're so close that watching it you won't know the difference.
I guess where we might win with this release is with the higher bitrate and as Matt points out, bonus features.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:42 AM

My receiver automatically splits mono between the left and right speaker. At least, I think it does as it says "STEREO" whenever I play a movie in mono.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
My receiver automatically splits mono between the left and right speaker. At least, I think it does as it says "STEREO" whenever I play a movie in mono.
I bet it won't take more than two button pushes on the remote to change that default to ProLogic II or DSU.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I bet it won't take more than two button pushes on the remote to change that default to ProLogic II or DSU.
That wasn't my point though. Why would I want to change what it's default is? PL just puts it into surround sound.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
That wasn't my point though. Why would I want to change what it's default is? PL just puts it into surround sound.
ProLogic II will not make a mono track into surround. For a mono signal, it will collapse everything into the center channel, as if it were 1.0. Assuming you have a good center speaker, this could be better for dialogue intelligibility and will negate the possibility of comb filtering artifacts if you sit off-center or move your head at all while watching.

If you play the mono track from your left and rights instead, you rely on those channels creating a phantom image effect between the speakers. That only works well if you're directly between the speakers and don't move your head, or else the sound from one speaker will reach your ear before the other speaker and the mono effect may get messed up. That's called a comb filter artifact.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:04 PM

So just a heads up, if you're on the fence with this release, don't wait too long in picking it up. Olive announced that they only made 5,000 copies of this release and their stock has run out. Whatever stock remains with retailers is all they got and won't be getting anymore in.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
ProLogic II will not make a mono track into surround. For a mono signal, it will collapse everything into the center channel, as if it were 1.0. Assuming you have a good center speaker, this could be better for dialogue intelligibility and will negate the possibility of comb filtering artifacts if you sit off-center or move your head at all while watching.

If you play the mono track from your left and rights instead, you rely on those channels creating a phantom image effect between the speakers. That only works well if you're directly between the speakers and don't move your head, or else the sound from one speaker will reach your ear before the other speaker and the mono effect may get messed up. That's called a comb filter artifact.
Hmmmm, perhaps that is why I don't see what the big deal is about mono tracks on my BDs.