The Flash: The Complete Fourth Season - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-24-2018, 04:47 PM

Default The Flash: The Complete Fourth Season - HDD Review

The Fourth Season doldrums trip up the scarlet speedster in this latest season of The Flash. A rough combination of nonsensical plotting and a season that runs entirely too long means there are a number of stale episodes that distract from the few genuinely great episodes this season had to offer. But there's still hope for Barry Allen to outrun the bad writing hole the series has dug itself into with a hell of a teaser ending. On the whole, The Flash The Complete Fourth Season is still fun and features another terrific Blu-ray presentation with terrific A/V quality and a bunch of solid bonus features. At this point, you're either a fan of The Flash or you're not, this season isn't the place to start watching so this one is For The Fans.

Full review here:
https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/537...rthseason.html
Old 08-25-2018, 02:20 AM

I have no idea what happened, but this season is a mess. It started out strong with a happy Flash, the way he is meant to be, a non-speedster villain that seemed threatening, and there was so much fun, especially when Ralph was on screen. Then the mid-season break happened and when it came back, everything fell apart. The Thinker felt like an entirely different character (not to mention the actors could not mimic Sandilands' mannerisms), Barry was back to being mopey, and the entire jail plotline was crap. None of it made any sense.

With that said, I am glad WB wised up after the crap they did with Invasion in the previous season and put Crisis on Earth X in full on every season set this time around. Now I don't have to buy shows I don't want just for a single episode, as that alone makes this season worth owning.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:00 AM

Yeah I really don't know what it is. I tend to be pretty forgiving when it comes to my superhero TV, but this one was a chore at times. You're right it seems like after the holiday break it's almost as if all the actual writers quit and they just sorta made it up on the fly. Ralph was fun, but even he could get really annoying. That "Hack harder" line flat out made me turn off the episode.
Fingers crossed they figured it out for next season. Excited to hear the crossover will apparently have Superman and Lois Lane!
Old 08-25-2018, 01:32 PM

Well for as bad as Flash was, it was still better than Arrow's sixth season and I never even bothered to watch the last three episodes to Supergirl. I'm done with that show. It being on Sunday night now is a godsend as it means I have no reason to watch it.

I have no idea how they are going to bring in Batwoman without having Batman show up though. That's pretty assnine, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut at least it means I don't have to see Batman babysitting another group of heroes.

I just really hope they have listened to our complaints beyond speedster villains and actually fix this season of Flash.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:06 PM

As mentioned, Season 4 is a huge mess overall. However, the Crisis on Earth-X crossover was a lot of fun and definitely the best of the crossovers these shows have done so far. Episode 15, "Enter Flashtime," is also one of the best episodes The Flash has ever had. The rest, though... really uneven in quality.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:15 AM

True - E15 "Enter Flashtime" is a damn great episode. That and a couple others and the Crisis on Earth-X story are what save this season from being a complete washout. I'm really hopeful Season 5 fixes things.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Episode 15, "Enter Flashtime," is also one of the best episodes The Flash has ever had. The rest, though... really uneven in quality.
For once we totally agree on something.