The Thing: 3-Disc Collector's Edition (SteelBook) - November 6 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-08-2018, 06:18 PM

Default The Thing: 3-Disc Collector's Edition (SteelBook) - November 6

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/624...steelbook.html
Old 08-08-2018, 06:36 PM

Well... feeling pretty good I never got around to importing the Arrow set now.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedscreen View Post
I know what you mean. I've been holding off on getting the initial Scream Factory release. Glad I did now! Looking forward to this steelbook release in a few months time!

So I take it this new set will look like this:

Disc 1: NEW 4K remastered disc
Disc 2: Initial 2K scanned disc, commentaries
Disc 3: Bonus features disc

That sound about right?
Old 08-09-2018, 12:58 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Probably the same content.

What irks me a bit is each time I see a UK Arrow title that interests me, I inquire and get told that it will definitely NOT be getting a USA releases. Then, this happens. I'm happy with my Arrow purchase, but in general, there's always the risk of region locking and I care not to mess with that.

For the record (because the info page doesn't indicate it) - is this a Scream Factory release or Arrow ?
Old 08-09-2018, 12:11 PM

Seems that Shout! Factory has licensed the super-soft Arrow transfer that everybody except me thinks is awesome.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:29 PM

Yeah Ive always wondered if that was the scan they were given or if they buggered up the color timing - the screencaps never looked impressive so I didnt jump.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah Ive always wondered if that was the scan they were given or if they buggered up the color timing - the screencaps never looked impressive so I didnt jump.
Arrow did their own transfer, which despite being a 4k scan of the OCN, is much softer and less detailed than Shout! Factory's prior 2k scan from an internegative. When I pointed this out, the Arrow fanboys jumped down my throat about it. "4k is always better than 2k because 4 is bigger than 2. DUHHHHHHHH DUMBASS!!!!1!!!!111!!! It's right there in the numbers. He thinks 2 is bigger than 4 LOLOLOLOLOLOL..."

Both transfers were supervised by Dean Cundey less than a year apart, which of course means that they look nothing at all like one another and have radically different colors, because the guy keeps changing his mind about what his old movies "always looked like."
Old 08-10-2018, 01:00 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Arrow did their own transfer, which despite being a 4k scan of the OCN, is much softer and less detailed than Shout! Factory's prior 2k scan from an internegative. When I pointed this out, the Arrow fanboys jumped down my throat about it. "4k is always better than 2k because 4 is bigger than 2. DUHHHHHHHH DUMBASS!!!!1!!!!111!!! It's right there in the numbers. He thinks 2 is bigger than 4 LOLOLOLOLOLOL..."
I suppose this could be true but never realized there were any Arrow fanboys. Where do I find said people? I want a good laugh. I cannot think of any company I would consider myself a fanboy of.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:27 AM

Unless it's a 4K combo release, I see no reason to buy the movie again when I already own the Shout! release from a few yaer's ago. There's nothing more than they can to make the movie look better.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I suppose this could be true but never realized there were any Arrow fanboys. Where do I find said people? I want a good laugh.
I think you can guess which .com about Blu-rays that might have happened at.

Quote:
I cannot think of any company I would consider myself a fanboy of.
Please. They literally have fanboys for specific compressionists over there. "OMG. Joe Schmo did the compression on that disc?!?!?! It's got to be amazeballs!!!!!! He really knows how to compress stuff better than anybody! W00t W00t!!!"