Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 716
Default Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Pre-Order

My pre-order has already been placed. I've been waiting for this one for a long time. I'm glad to see WB is including both widescreen versions (2.55:1 and 1.77:1).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Boston007's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Pre-Order

My pre-order has already been placed. I've been waiting for this one for a long time. I'm glad to see WB is including both widescreen versions (2.55:1 and 1.77:1).
Never saw this but always wanted to.

Which version is the better one?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-2018, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Which version is the better one?
It's the same film, scene for scene, but one was shot in the morning and the other shot in the evening. Personally, I prefer the 1.77:1 version. I'm not sure if that's because the performance of the actors is slightly different, or that I have a preference for the image filling the entire screen. But I like both and I am looking forward to comparing them once I get the Blu-Ray.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Boston007's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
It's the same film, scene for scene, but one was shot in the morning and the other shot in the evening. Personally, I prefer the 1.77:1 version. I'm not sure if that's because the performance of the actors is slightly different, or that I have a preference for the image filling the entire screen. But I like both and I am looking forward to comparing them once I get the Blu-Ray.
I never saw it but heard of it and looks interesting. I'll have to check it out. Hopefully the transfers are good
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-11-2018, 04:41 PM
themisfit138's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 741
Default

If you are into classic hollywood musicals, it is pretty entertaining.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2018, 04:37 PM
comrade's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2
Default

The other big difference is the shots are tightened up for the flat version. I'm more of a scope lover, especially the extra wide early CinemaScope variety (2.55:1). I'm sure this will look great from the Warner Archive.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-07-2018, 01:44 AM
dbacksfan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 942
Default

This is one of my wife's very favorite films. Unfortunately it was not shot on location. (A shame for such an outdoorsy film.) The studio backdrops are quite obvious, so I'll be interested to see how artificial the sets look with the increased clarity of 1080p. But I hear the color has been beautifully restored, and that's one of the movie's most important aspects. The DVD is quite good, so I'm expecting the hues to really pop on the Blu-ray.

The non-widescreen version (which was shot because CinemaScope was still a fledgling format at the time and MGM was worried it might be defunct by the time the film was released and wanted to hedge its bet) is quite interesting to watch. Director Stanley Donen nearly had a breakdown shooting two separate versions of the same film simultaneously. He didn't just use two different cameras, he had to devise completely different set-ups and framing. It was never shown theatrically, because by the time of the release, CinemaScope was all the rage, so all that work was for nothing. But it's fun to see the differences. I prefer the CinemaScope version because it really serves the musical numbers well.
__________________
David Krauss,
HDD Reviewer/Contributor
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 716
Default

I ended up getting mine for $11.99. It was supposed arrive on 6/5 with Amazon Prime. My son and I had been planning to watch it (we both love the film). It didn't arrive. So I contacted Amazon and they gave me a $10 credit. It arrived yesterday, 6/6, but I have not had a chance to watch it. Maybe tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-07-2018, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
This is one of my wife's very favorite films. Unfortunately it was not shot on location. (A shame for such an outdoorsy film.) The studio backdrops are quite obvious, so I'll be interested to see how artificial the sets look with the increased clarity of 1080p. But I hear the color has been beautifully restored, and that's one of the movie's most important aspects. The DVD is quite good, so I'm expecting the hues to really pop on the Blu-ray.

The non-widescreen version (which was shot because CinemaScope was still a fledgling format at the time and MGM was worried it might be defunct by the time the film was released and wanted to hedge its bet) is quite interesting to watch. Director Stanley Donen nearly had a breakdown shooting two separate versions of the same film simultaneously. He didn't just use two different cameras, he had to devise completely different set-ups and framing. It was never shown theatrically, because by the time of the release, CinemaScope was all the rage, so all that work was for nothing. But it's fun to see the differences. I prefer the CinemaScope version because it really serves the musical numbers well.
David,

Will you be doing a formal review? I'd like to hear your opinion on the difference between the two aspect ratios after you've had a chance to view both.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-08-2018, 12:03 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 716
Default

I watched the CinemaScope version tonight. I obviously didn't have this new Blu-Ray playing side-by-side with the previous CinemaScope DVD. So I could not make a direct comparison. Keeping that in mind, here are my thoughts.

First, the opening credits don't look much better. They surely don't reflect Blu-Ray quality. But once the movie starts I can see a definite difference in many, if not most, scenes.

For those scenes that have superior PQ, there is an easily visible improvement. But there are some scenes that don't appear to be much better than the previous DVD release. And the picture quality seems to vary from scene to scene.

Overall, I was impressed, and it was worth the cost to upgrade. Especially since I only ended up paying $11.99 for my copy. Had I paid $21.99 I may feel differently.

I plan to watch the 16 x 9 version tomorrow night. The 16 x 9 version has always been my favorite. But I think that's because I always found the PQ of the CinemaScope version on the DVD to be lacking. That was clearly not the case with this Blu-Ray. I'll post my thoughts once I've watched it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - Coming Soon scohen Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 05-08-2018 11:43 AM
'Black Veil Brides: Alive and Burning' is coming July 10 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 05-10-2015 12:27 PM
'The Magnificent Seven' & 'Return of the Magnificent Seven' are coming August 2 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 06-02-2011 05:31 PM
'Seven Years in Tibet' - High-Def Digest review jed Blu-ray Software General Discussion 7 06-13-2007 09:37 AM
Cruel Intentions / Seven Years In Tibet - Cover Art & Specs Jim Morrison Blu-ray Software General Discussion 1 04-10-2007 03:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off