Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Palmer is offline Administrator

Default Night of the Living Dead (1968): 50th Anniversary Edition - HDD Review

Matthew was hoping this Blu-ray was the more recent 4K restoration of Night of the Living Dead, but, alas, this transfer isn't even on par with the rather impressive one featured on the Japanese Import from Happinet.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5012...ryedition.html

mattedscreen is online now HDD Reviewer / Movie Fan

Good news for those kids out there looking forward to catching the 4K Restoration in theaters, Janus Films has posted up their calendar of theatrical engagements across the country! Hopefully, this means a good and proper Blu-ray is on its way in the near future!

See if there's a theater near you:
    http://www.janusfilms.com/notld
    Need something fun &/OR funny? Watch This!

Plissken99 is online now Member

I'm actually a bit glad.. I bought the Japanese version only a year ago ish.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by mattedscreen View Post
    Good news for those kids out there looking forward to catching the 4K Restoration in theaters, Janus Films has posted up their calendar of theatrical engagements across the country! Hopefully, this means a good and proper Blu-ray is on its way in the near future!
    Janus Films and Criterion and owned by the same parent company and have a close relationship. That makes it very likely that Criterion will release the Janus restoration of this movie. Mill Creek rushed this garbage disc to market to get out ahead of that. I mean, they're calling it the 50th Anniversary Edition when the 50th anniversary isn't until next year.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Janus Films and Criterion and owned by the same parent company and have a close relationship. That makes it very likely that Criterion will release the Janus restoration of this movie. Mill Creek rushed this garbage disc to market to get out ahead of that. I mean, they're calling it the 50th Anniversary Edition when the 50th anniversary isn't until next year.
    I guess "49th-ish Anniversary Edition" wasn't as eye-catching in focus groups.

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

So is this just a terrible transfer or did they cheap out on the encode?
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    So is this just a terrible transfer or did they cheap out on the encode?
    Probably both - def not the same source print as the Japanese import

Dr Kain is online now Member

I knew right when I saw in the review the words "Mill Creek" that this release was going to be nothing but utter shit. You would think that a movie this beloved would get top tier treatment from someone. Who the hell licensed it out to Mill Creek anyway? When have they ever put out a quality release?

Being that its public domain, I would think anyone could release a version of it. Not that they'd have access to a decent print.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    Being that its public domain, I would think anyone could release a version of it. Not that they'd have access to a decent print.
    Yeah, George Romero made a huge mistake in 1968 when (being a first-time filmmaker working independently) he forgot to add a copyright notice to the movie's end credits. That immediately put it into the Public Domain. Anyone can release the movie if they can obtain a print of it in any condition, and Romero made no money off it on home video. Fortunately for him, it was a huge hit theatrically and the (properly copyrighted) sequels were also very profitable.
    Josh Z
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

That doesn't make sense. It was still his creation, his idea, his film. Just because he initially forgot to put a copyright on it does not give anyone the right to release it without his permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    That doesn't make sense. It was still his creation, his idea, his film. Just because he initially forgot to put a copyright on it does not give anyone the right to release it without his permission.
    The copyright was accidentally cropped off the title shot in the original negative. Just like that, the film couldn't be profited from. Much like a multiple murderer walks free if the arresting officer spaces on reading his rights. Good ole American legal system.

They say that's why Romero remade NOTLD, trying to recoup in some way.

Yes, in fact, that's precisely how the Public Domain works. Something in the Public Domain is considered to have no owner, and anyone is free to use, distribute or sell it as they wish without requiring any sort of permission.

Without a copyright, the film went directly to PD status.
    Josh Z

Yes, but why didn't he just put the copyright back on there later?

Yes, but why didn't he just put the copyright back on there later?
    Doesn't work that way. You can't copyright it after-the-fact when it's already in the Public Domain. If that were possible, nothing would stop literally anyone from copyrighting the collected works of William Shakespeare and demanding royalties for every book copy sold or movie adaptation made.
    Josh Z

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast