Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Doesn't work that way. You can't copyright it after-the-fact when it's already in the Public Domain. If that were possible, nothing would stop literally anyone from copyrighting the collected works of William Shakespeare and demanding royalties for every book copy sold or movie adaptation made.
    Can you say insert a deleted scene into the movie itself and then copyright that version?
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

mattedscreen is online now HDD Reviewer / Movie Fan

The biggest problem, in this case, was that the title was changed at very nearly the last minute from "Night of the Flesh Eaters" (which sounded too violent) to "Night of the Living Dead." My understanding was that Night of the Flesh Eaters and all the posters printed had the copyright. When they changed it, they didn't update the copyright prior to release. They're still cited as the original creators but they accidentally gave up complete ownership of those release prints. Even if they were to have copyrighted it properly after the premier, those prints without the copyright were still in public domain. Now any restoration work they do - like for the 4K restoration is an owned print. That's exclusive to their use to do with as they will. Anyone who wants to release that print will have to pay for it. But as Mill Creek just demonstrated, they owned a print of NOLD so they're still able to release Blu-rays of it and profit from it.

The 1990 remake helped them regain ownership of the name "Night of the Living Dead" - that's why any other movie or video game that comes along with a "Dead" or "Living Dead" in the title usually comes with a legal notice that it's not affiliated with "Night of the Living Dead" or subsequent sequels like the Dead Rising or Left 4 Dead games.

As far as adding scenes like what John Russo did for the 30th Anniversary monstrosity from Anchor Bay, technically that's a new movie of sorts - anyone who wanted to release that would have to get the rights to do so, but nobody should ever have to watch that hunk of junk.
    Need something fun &/OR funny? Watch This!

Was this Mill Creek version based on a 4K scan?? I could've sworn Mill Creek's website stated that it was using a new 4K scan for this blu-ray release, but their website doesn't state that little tidbit anymore. I wonder if they backed out of it and just used an older scan instead just to save money.

Either way, I'm glad I didn't pre-order this version and am glad to just stick with my Japanese import, which was phenomenal anyway. Highly recommend the Japanese import if anyone is still on the fence about it.
    How am I not myself?

Live everyday like it's the best day of your life.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
    Was this Mill Creek version based on a 4K scan?? I could've sworn Mill Creek's website stated that it was using a new 4K scan for this blu-ray release, but their website doesn't state that little tidbit anymore. I wonder if they backed out of it and just used an older scan instead just to save money.
    Even if it was a 4k scan, what's it a 4k scan of? If their source is an ancient, fuzzy 16mm dupe print, a 500k scan ain't gonna make it look good.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

My bad, they promoted a 2K scan. But still, you know what I mean. Here's their listing:

How am I not myself?

Live everyday like it's the best day of your life.

mattedscreen is online now HDD Reviewer / Movie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
    My bad, they promoted a 2K scan. But still, you know what I mean. Here's their listing:

Ha! yeah they said scan - def not a restoration effort. If you want to do a comparison, if you have Amazon Prime, this version from Mill Creek of NOLD is streamable, if you watch the one hosted by Elvira the version she has is closer to the Japanese Import with cleaner picture quality, less damage, sharper details etc.
    Need something fun &/OR funny? Watch This!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12