The Flash: The Complete Third Season - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-01-2017, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Default The Flash: The Complete Third Season - HDD Review

The Flash: The Complete Third Season delivers the goods and is a welcome darker turn for the show and its characters while never forgetting to have a little fun.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3895...irdseason.html
Old 10-02-2017, 01:03 AM

I thought this season was terrible. Perhaps a slight improvement on Season 2, but that's like saying it's a slightly better smelling pile of dog poop. Savatar looked awful and his origin was stupid, based on one of the dumbest concepts the show has had. The overall plot was too dark and unfun, and everything to do with Barry and Iris's relationship was terrible as always. I really miss the first season of the show.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
I thought this season was terrible. Perhaps a slight improvement on Season 2, but that's like saying it's a slightly better smelling pile of dog poop. Savatar looked awful and his origin was stupid, based on one of the dumbest concepts the show has had. The overall plot was too dark and unfun, and everything to do with Barry and Iris's relationship was terrible as always. I really miss the first season of the show.
Yah they lost me in Season 2 and I caught a COUPLE episodes of season 3 and see I didn't make a mistake leaving this show.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
It's a welcome darker turn for the show and its characters while never forgetting to have a little fun.
No, just no. NO, no, no no NO!!!!! Flash is NOT supposed to be dark. THe darker turn was utter bullshit and ruined the entire season!

Don't get me wrong, there were some pretty solid episodes in the season, but as a whole, it was down right dreadful. They need to write this show out by making it just be a dream sequence, that Barry went into a coma when he tried to save his mom and everything was his imagination.

I really hope Season 4 ends up being as phenomenal as 1 and 2 were because this is supposed to be the best live action super hero show ever and Season 3 knocked it below Arrow S5, Luke Cage, and The Defenders.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:44 AM

See I liked this season. I liked that they shook things up - not everything was great. Again, Iris was an unfortunate wet blanket of a character but I liked most of the changes they made. I liked that the villain wasn't so much the main focus of trying to prevent an unfortunate event from happening. Season One is still by far my favorite, but I still enjoy this show. The darker territory gave it someplace to go beyond a routine police procedural with superheroes - at least for me. I know I'm in the minority on that with this season.

Everything that I've read indicates Season 4 is aiming to be a return to Season One form though. Lighter, no Julian, plus the Crisis crossover with Arrow, Supergirl, and Legends could be fun.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:56 AM

They have a lot of work to do if they want the Crisis crossover to be as entertaining as The Defenders was.

Julian was one of the season's least worries. Having another speedster villain was one issue. Having him be a giant hulk of CGI was another. The complete and utter poor representations for Mirror Master and the Shade added to it. They did nothing with Dr Alchemy. Barry was so god damn whiny. Cisco forgot to be fun for half of the season. Also, the identity of Savitar was so obvious and generic. And then we have that giant fuck you ending. Oh my god that ending was shit. I could have forgiven all of the negatives throughout the entire year had that ending actually felt satisfying.

I feel like WB originally planned to remove Barry from the show so they could have their movie Barry, but because their movieverse is even bigger dogshit they decided to no longer go that route after they saw the poor reception the ending of the season had.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
They have a lot of work to do if they want the Crisis crossover to be as entertaining as The Defenders was.

Julian was one of the season's least worries. Having another speedster villain was one issue. Having him be a giant hulk of CGI was another. The complete and utter poor representations for Mirror Master and the Shade added to it. They did nothing with Dr Alchemy. Barry was so god damn whiny. Cisco forgot to be fun for half of the season. Also, the identity of Savitar was so obvious and generic. And then we have that giant fuck you ending. Oh my god that ending was shit. I could have forgiven all of the negatives throughout the entire year had that ending actually felt satisfying.

I feel like WB originally planned to remove Barry from the show so they could have their movie Barry, but because their movieverse is even bigger dogshit they decided to no longer go that route after they saw the poor reception the ending of the season had.
I can see that - You're right about CGI Savitar, that was pretty bad, I noticed about midway through the season he all of a sudden became a physical prop/costume - almost like they realized it looked crap and had to fix it. You def could feel the tinkering as the season went on, but overall I dug it. I plugged in and was entertained by it. I also feel like that ending wasn't so much an attempt to remove Barry - because that'd be a damn dumb thing to do for this cash cow show, so I've got a hunch there's going to be some sort of speedforce continuity wipe hookamajig that undoes the Flashpoint timeline entirely and the show goes back to being more or less somewhere between season 1 and 2.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:10 PM

I agree that Season 3 took the show down a notch. I thought the same thing happened to Arrow in Season 5. Hopefully both shows will pick up this coming season. However, unlike Flash and Arrow, Gotham seemed to get better for me in Season 3. I don't watch these shows when they are in their normal run as I can't commit to the same times each week so I binge watch them when they become available on demand via cable or Netflix.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:08 PM

I thought Arrow was a massive improvement over the disasters that were the third and fourth seasons. It still wasn't perfect, but the flashbacks actually fit with the narrative again and it had an interesting premise.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:27 PM

Yeah, Arrow Season 5 was worlds better than the last two seasons. Season 3 was the worst for me.