Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Palmer is offline Administrator

Default Jessica Jones: The Complete First Season - HDD Review

Matthew says Jessica Jones is his favorite Marvel TV Series thus far, and this Blu-ray looks great when compared to the Netflix HD streaming. However, if you've already upgraded to 4K, it doesn't quite compete with the Netflix UHD Dolby Vision version.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4979...rstseason.html

skinnyb37 is offline Member

hmmm...I tried a couple episodes on Netflix a while back and didn't get into it. Based on Matthew's review, I should give it another go.

Boston007 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyb37 View Post
    hmmm...I tried a couple episodes on Netflix a while back and didn't get into it. Based on Matthew's review, I should give it another go.
    It's not bad. the episodes have its ups and downs. I wasn't a fan of the main villain.

ShannonNutt is offline HDD Reviewer/Blogger

I don't know if I'd give it a perfect 5, but I'm in the same boat with Matthew - Jessica Jones is my favorite of the Marvel Netflix shows and David Tennant is simply brilliant in this series.
    "I'm trying Ringo...I"m trying real hard to be the shepherd."

Charles M is offline Member

I thought this was awful. I hated Jessica, she's a whiny 'woe is me' hero, just like Zck Snyder's Batman and Superman. And the show is dumb. How many times do a bunch of people show up and rescue the bad guy? 3? 4 times? They really had no idea what to do with the villain. For all the acclaim the character has gotten for some reason, the character is utterly unambitious. Sure he has a scary power, but he doesn't care about actually using it for something worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
    I thought this was awful. I hated Jessica, she's a whiny 'woe is me' hero, just like Zck Snyder's Batman and Superman. And the show is dumb. How many times do a bunch of people show up and rescue the bad guy? 3? 4 times? They really had no idea what to do with the villain. For all the acclaim the character has gotten for some reason, the character is utterly unambitious. Sure he has a scary power, but he doesn't care about actually using it for something worthwhile.
    I agree. I was sick of it by mid season I think. I doubt I'll watch another season. I thought Luke Cage was a better character and better show.

Dr Kain is online now Member

Until Iron Fist, I thought this was the weakest of the shows. It didn't help that I hated Jessica her self, but I also felt this season could have been done in 8 episodes. The Nuke plot went nowhere and while I loved Tennant as the Purple Man, how many times did I really need to see them capture him just so he could get away by some dumb Scooby Doo antics?

With that said, I really loved Jessica in Defenders, so my enjoyment of this show may change upon a rewatch. I may wait to see if they do a Netflix Phase I box set first though.

mattedscreen is offline HDD Reviewer / Movie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Until Iron Fist, I thought this was the weakest of the shows. It didn't help that I hated Jessica her self, but I also felt this season could have been done in 8 episodes. The Nuke plot went nowhere and while I loved Tennant as the Purple Man, how many times did I really need to see them capture him just so he could get away by some dumb Scooby Doo antics?

With that said, I really loved Jessica in Defenders, so my enjoyment of this show may change upon a rewatch. I may wait to see if they do a Netflix Phase I box set first though.
    That could be what happened for me, my first viewing left me liking it a lot, but the second time through and getting half way through Defenders popped it up. I still think Daredevil and Luke Cage are the most entertaining bang for your buck shows, but I dig how different this one is from those and how it handled its themes. And yeah, Iron Fist man, I seriously hope the new showrunner has a good idea on how to turn that ship around.
    Need something fun &/OR funny? Watch This!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

I agree on Jess in Defenders, she was watchable in that season 1

I just do not like the actor for Iron Fist. I think he is awful and almost makes it unwatchable. I literally want to turn away from the screen when he is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    I agree on Jess in Defenders, she was watchable in that season 1

I just do not like the actor for Iron Fist. I think he is awful and almost makes it unwatchable. I literally want to turn away from the screen when he is talking.
    I don't even think Finn Jones is the problem with Fist, it's the damn dialogue. It's constantly swirling the drain of confident would-be superhero to whiney bratty rich kid. Just when someone talks him out of that spiral, the next scene he's all whiney and bratty again. Finn just has nowhere to go with it. When he gets to do some action, he's fine. He plays like a Kung-fu version of the Fifty Shades of Grey guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mattedscreen View Post
    I don't even think Finn Jones is the problem with Fist, it's the damn dialogue. It's constantly swirling the drain of confident would-be superhero to whiney bratty rich kid. Just when someone talks him out of that spiral, the next scene he's all whiney and bratty again. Finn just has nowhere to go with it. When he gets to do some action, he's fine. He plays like a Kung-fu version of the Fifty Shades of Grey guy.
    Hahaha you may be right but I also find his voice irritating. It's like it's raspy or he's whispering. Can't put my finger on it. But you described his dialogue perfectly.

I have not read the comics but was the Iron Fist whiney like in the show?

Hahaha you may be right but I also find his voice irritating. It's like it's raspy or he's whispering. Can't put my finger on it. But you described his dialogue perfectly.

I have not read the comics but was the Iron Fist whiney like in the show?
    The few comics I read had him dealing with the responsibilities of his powers, personal history and what not, so that's on point, but the CONSTANT "My parents are DEAD! Whaaaahahaha I have billions of dollars and I'm uber privlaged but I don't want to be WaahiwahiWaaaaaaa" sob stuff is way over played. Honestly the show sounds like it's trying to be a Batman live action show but even then they didn't get the part right that eventually, no matter how upset Batman (or Iron Fist) is, at the end of the day he suits up and kicks some ass and moves on with his life and doesn't constantly need to be coddled like a high school kid who got embarrassed and shamed on Facebook.

The few comics I read had him dealing with the responsibilities of his powers, personal history and what not, so that's on point, but the CONSTANT "My parents are DEAD! Whaaaahahaha I have billions of dollars and I'm uber privlaged but I don't want to be WaahiwahiWaaaaaaa" sob stuff is way over played. Honestly the show sounds like it's trying to be a Batman live action show but even then they didn't get the part right that eventually, no matter how upset Batman (or Iron Fist) is, at the end of the day he suits up and kicks some ass and moves on with his life and doesn't constantly need to be coddled like a high school kid who got embarrassed and shamed on Facebook.
    Yup, this is exactly one of the main reasons I hate the character in addition to the actor. It's a double whammy for me!

Yup, this is exactly one of the main reasons I hate the character in addition to the actor. It's a double whammy for me!
    Oh, I totally get it, I want to give Finn the benefit of the doubt, so hopefully, the new showrunner can turn things around and actually help coach him to building a decent character that audiences want to see and not just deal with because he's in The Defenders.

Oh, I totally get it, I want to give Finn the benefit of the doubt, so hopefully, the new showrunner can turn things around and actually help coach him to building a decent character that audiences want to see and not just deal with because he's in The Defenders.
    Yah I was pretty happy with the first season of Defenders so maybe they can improve on him.

And for the love of God they better stop using the friggin Hand in the show. Give us some good villains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast