Palmer is offline Administrator

Default Blood Alley & The Sea Chase - HDD Reviews

We got a Duke On The Water double feature for you today:

John Wayne vs Commies... on water!

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/48413/bloodalley.html

John Wayne as a (not a Nazi but still German) Sea Captain trying to escape England-controlled Australian waters... on water!

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/48415/theseachase.html

reidw is offline Member

Default On a River?

Is the reviewer correct in stating that this movie is set on a river? Looking at the map it seems to me that it is showing a coastline as there's no other (river) side drawn on the map. Secondly, I doubt if any river could produce the wave action we see in that storm scene and lastly the Chinese naval ship (stock footage?) that shells the refugees at the climax couldn't possibly fit in any river. That's an ocean going vessel not a riverboat.

dommie is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by reidw View Post
    Is the reviewer correct in stating that this movie is set on a river? Looking at the map it seems to me that it is showing a coastline as there's no other (river) side drawn on the map. Secondly, I doubt if any river could produce the wave action we see in that storm scene and lastly the Chinese naval ship (stock footage?) that shells the refugees at the climax couldn't possibly fit in any river. That's an ocean going vessel not a riverboat.
    I would say that your observation is correct. That map shows the narrows in the East China sea, along the east coast of the China mainland. I've seen Blood Alley many times and like the film, and in the film Wayne even makes reference to the rough seas and how hard it is to navigate this area. It does appear during some scenes in the film, particularly when the refugees have to get out and pull the ferry by rope, that they are in a river but given the map, they are close to the coast and trying to hide from the Chinese gunboats. I believe, in the case of that particular scene, technically it was a river, doubling for the Chinese coast. Much of the film was shot in the San Francisco Bay Area (where I lived for about 12 years) and in the Sacramento River Delta location.