The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-14-2017, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Default The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - HDD Review

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly 50th Anniversary is here with another new transfer thanks to the folks at Kino, but is it THE BEST the film's ever looked and sounded at home? Please do check out Matthew incredibly in-depth review.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4489...ryedition.html
Old 08-14-2017, 10:38 PM

So, I've never seen the film, but the screen grab comparisons almost make me favor the more yellowish tones as that seems to remind me of my youth watching westerns on the Encore channels that always seemed to have over-saturated palettes.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:59 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdprice74 View Post
So, I've never seen the film, but the screen grab comparisons almost make me favor the more yellowish tones as that seems to remind me of my youth watching westerns on the Encore channels that always seemed to have over-saturated palettes.
To each their own I guess. I grew up on VHS rentals and crappy cable tv HBO but when I get a movie today I want it to look the best it can. Removing the yellow to me makes it look the way it should be, the way it originally was 50 years ago (which I wasn't alive then.) Why filmmakers insist on changing things later on baffles me. Unless of course they do so to improve things. I won't go George Lucas far on things but I feel that fixing some flaws in a modern environment might be acceptable.

At this juncture though I certainly applaud Kino for their efforts but seriously, this film is dying for 4K. Its very wide widescreen and the fact it was shot on film just cries for a 4K release. If I see a decent price on it I might snatch it up but I am buying less BDs and getting more 4K combos.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdprice74 View Post
Please watch this film on some blu ray medium. It's a classic gem!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:54 PM

I heard there were compression issues with this transfer, such as posterization and banding. Is it true?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:29 AM

Great review thank you

Judging from the reviewer's video comments and screen grabs I REALLY prefer this release. I will be double dipping on this one.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:53 AM

Did you get a chance to check out the extras?
The review at Blu-Ray.com said this,
"Note: the MGM-produced special features have been mangled for this Blu-ray, displayed with low resolution and stuttery frame rates, which makes them resemble particularly problematic YouTube videos."
Old 08-15-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBarnill View Post
I heard there were compression issues with this transfer, such as posterization and banding. Is it true?
I'd read that in other reviews too and didn't notice anything along those lines, or at least anything serious enough to catch my attention.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josey_Wales View Post
Did you get a chance to check out the extras?
The review at Blu-Ray.com said this,
"Note: the MGM-produced special features have been mangled for this Blu-ray, displayed with low resolution and stuttery frame rates, which makes them resemble particularly problematic YouTube videos."
I took a quick look through them again and they do suffer from some stuttery frame rates. But it's only the MGM produced content which makes me wonder if they didn't have to rip the content directly from previous discs and then re-encode them, or they sacrificed the quality of these older bonus features to make room for the extended cut. I added a note to the review reflecting this. The newly assembled bonus features found on disc one do not suffer this issue.

Last edited by mattedscreen; 08-15-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:27 AM

I'll hold off on this for now. The three Clint-Leone films will most likely get a few more releases. Definitely a UHD release will come along soon enough, so I'll see which one pans out the best and buy that one.

As for 'The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly', I actually prefer the longer cut. It's an episodic tale, defined by its detours and endless shifts of alliance and betrayal. The longer it takes those three men to get to their final confrontation the more powerful it is. Especially since every frame of this film is so expertly crafted, I could watch it go on forever.