Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Palmer is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,273

    Default The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - HDD Review

    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly 50th Anniversary is here with another new transfer thanks to the folks at Kino, but is it THE BEST the film's ever looked and sounded at home? Please do check out Matthew incredibly in-depth review.

    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4489...ryedition.html

  2. #2
    jdprice74 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    50

    Default

    So, I've never seen the film, but the screen grab comparisons almost make me favor the more yellowish tones as that seems to remind me of my youth watching westerns on the Encore channels that always seemed to have over-saturated palettes.

  3. #3
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    11,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdprice74 View Post
    So, I've never seen the film, but the screen grab comparisons almost make me favor the more yellowish tones as that seems to remind me of my youth watching westerns on the Encore channels that always seemed to have over-saturated palettes.
    To each their own I guess. I grew up on VHS rentals and crappy cable tv HBO but when I get a movie today I want it to look the best it can. Removing the yellow to me makes it look the way it should be, the way it originally was 50 years ago (which I wasn't alive then.) Why filmmakers insist on changing things later on baffles me. Unless of course they do so to improve things. I won't go George Lucas far on things but I feel that fixing some flaws in a modern environment might be acceptable.

    At this juncture though I certainly applaud Kino for their efforts but seriously, this film is dying for 4K. Its very wide widescreen and the fact it was shot on film just cries for a 4K release. If I see a decent price on it I might snatch it up but I am buying less BDs and getting more 4K combos.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  4. #4
    Boston007's Avatar
    Boston007 is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdprice74 View Post
    So, I've never seen the film, but the screen grab comparisons almost make me favor the more yellowish tones as that seems to remind me of my youth watching westerns on the Encore channels that always seemed to have over-saturated palettes.
    Please watch this film on some blu ray medium. It's a classic gem!

  5. #5
    HBarnill is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    54

    Default

    I heard there were compression issues with this transfer, such as posterization and banding. Is it true?

  6. #6
    Boston007's Avatar
    Boston007 is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Great review thank you

    Judging from the reviewer's video comments and screen grabs I REALLY prefer this release. I will be double dipping on this one.

  7. #7
    Josey_Wales is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Did you get a chance to check out the extras?
    The review at Blu-Ray.com said this,
    "Note: the MGM-produced special features have been mangled for this Blu-ray, displayed with low resolution and stuttery frame rates, which makes them resemble particularly problematic YouTube videos."

  8. #8
    mattedscreen's Avatar
    mattedscreen is offline HDD Reviewer / Movie Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    2,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HBarnill View Post
    I heard there were compression issues with this transfer, such as posterization and banding. Is it true?
    I'd read that in other reviews too and didn't notice anything along those lines, or at least anything serious enough to catch my attention.
    Need something fun &/OR funny? Watch This!

  9. #9
    mattedscreen's Avatar
    mattedscreen is offline HDD Reviewer / Movie Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    2,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Josey_Wales View Post
    Did you get a chance to check out the extras?
    The review at Blu-Ray.com said this,
    "Note: the MGM-produced special features have been mangled for this Blu-ray, displayed with low resolution and stuttery frame rates, which makes them resemble particularly problematic YouTube videos."
    I took a quick look through them again and they do suffer from some stuttery frame rates. But it's only the MGM produced content which makes me wonder if they didn't have to rip the content directly from previous discs and then re-encode them, or they sacrificed the quality of these older bonus features to make room for the extended cut. I added a note to the review reflecting this. The newly assembled bonus features found on disc one do not suffer this issue.
    Last edited by mattedscreen; 08-15-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    Need something fun &/OR funny? Watch This!

  10. #10
    Bolo's Avatar
    Bolo is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    571

    Default

    I'll hold off on this for now. The three Clint-Leone films will most likely get a few more releases. Definitely a UHD release will come along soon enough, so I'll see which one pans out the best and buy that one.

    As for 'The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly', I actually prefer the longer cut. It's an episodic tale, defined by its detours and endless shifts of alliance and betrayal. The longer it takes those three men to get to their final confrontation the more powerful it is. Especially since every frame of this film is so expertly crafted, I could watch it go on forever.

  11. #11
    mattedscreen's Avatar
    mattedscreen is offline HDD Reviewer / Movie Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    2,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    I'll hold off on this for now. The three Clint-Leone films will most likely get a few more releases. Definitely a UHD release will come along soon enough, so I'll see which one pans out the best and buy that one.

    As for 'The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly', I actually prefer the longer cut. It's an episodic tale, defined by its detours and endless shifts of alliance and betrayal. The longer it takes those three men to get to their final confrontation the more powerful it is. Especially since every frame of this film is so expertly crafted, I could watch it go on forever.
    Yeah, this isn't going to be the last time we see GBU on disc, especially since Fistful and For a Few are due to get new disc releases from Kino later this year, early 2018. And you know when Fox/MGM gets itchy for easy profits they'll throw out their own releases again down the line.
    Need something fun &/OR funny? Watch This!

  12. #12
    Josh Z's Avatar
    Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    11,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    At this juncture though I certainly applaud Kino for their efforts but seriously, this film is dying for 4K. Its very wide widescreen and the fact it was shot on film just cries for a 4K release. If I see a decent price on it I might snatch it up but I am buying less BDs and getting more 4K combos.
    All of Leone's Spaghetti Westerns were shot in Techniscope, which was a cheaper, lower-quality alternative to Cinemascope. Techniscope only used about half as much area on the 35mm negative, and was typically very grainy. There may not be much more detail to be gleaned from this movie.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

  13. #13
    Bolo's Avatar
    Bolo is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattedscreen View Post
    Yeah, this isn't going to be the last time we see GBU on disc, especially since Fistful and For a Few are due to get new disc releases from Kino later this year, early 2018. And you know when Fox/MGM gets itchy for easy profits they'll throw out their own releases again down the line.
    Good to know about the other two getting Kino releases. Thanks, mate. Hopefully, once they've released them all individually, they'll bundle them at a good price. The presentation does look good in those screen grabs. Compared to the MGM release, I prefer the tones for the landscapes. The MGM one tends to make the landscapes look more swampy than desert-like. I'm fairly indifferent towards the skin tones. They look somewhat exaggerated in the MGM release, but not in a way that bothers me.
    Last edited by Bolo; 08-16-2017 at 08:56 AM.

  14. #14
    mattedscreen's Avatar
    mattedscreen is offline HDD Reviewer / Movie Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    2,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    Good to know about the other two getting Kino releases. Thanks, mate. Hopefully, once they've released them all individually, they'll bundle them at a good price. The presentation does look good in those screen grabs. Compared to the MGM release, I prefer the tones for the landscapes. The MGM one tends to make the landscapes look more swampy than desert-like. I'm fairly indifferent towards the skin tones. They look somewhat exaggerated in the MGM release, but not in a way that bothers me.
    Yeah Kino Studio Classics' Facebook page is a boon for upcoming releases these days. They've confirmed new 4K scans for Fistful and For a Few Dollars and are working on the bonus features package. I may be mistaken but I believe Fistful is due sometime late November/December with For a Few coming sometime early 2018? They've been asked about a box set & or offering a custom sleeve and they've said their considering it - so that's something!
    Need something fun &/OR funny? Watch This!

  15. #15
    boguspomp is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    Good to know about the other two getting Kino releases. Thanks, mate. Hopefully, once they've released them all individually, they'll bundle them at a good price. The presentation does look good in those screen grabs. Compared to the MGM release, I prefer the tones for the landscapes. The MGM one tends to make the landscapes look more swampy than desert-like. I'm fairly indifferent towards the skin tones. They look somewhat exaggerated in the MGM release, but not in a way that bothers me.
    When I look at the picture of Clint on the ground I know I have to get the new release. He looks seriously ill - Hepatitis in its final state comes to mind.
    LG 65' 4k 3D HDR
    Samsung 4K player

    Parasound HCA 2205 Poweramp
    4 T+A TB160 LS
    1 Teufel Centre
    1 Nubert Sub
    Home Theater PC with AMD Phenom 2 X6 1045T 2.7 GHz as Media server / 32 GB RAM / HDD 40 TB worth of HD content
    Asus Essence ST Soundcard with X6 extension 192kHz-24bit
    Asus RX 290 video card
    1900 Blu-Ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1