Shin Godzilla - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Default Shin Godzilla - HDD Review

This is not a drill, people. There's a man back in the suit.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/47089/shingodzilla.html

Last edited by eNoize; 08-12-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:14 PM

Looking forward to seeing what Dr Kain as to say, our unofficial Godzilla expert on these forums
Old 08-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Looking forward to seeing what Dr Kain as to say, our unofficial Godzilla expert on these forums
CD is another Godzilla fan as well, but perhaps more "official."

This one focusing a lot more on the people's reactions might be interesting. I bought this release week - wish it was a 4K combo.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:21 PM

I picked it up last week, and I still need to watch it. Judging from the preview it looks to be along the lines of Return of Godzilla.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:14 AM

I'm a closet Godzilla fan and have both imported and domestic films in my library and I made the effort to go see Shin Godzilla in the theater and really enjoyed it.

That being said the US release and its lack of any bonus features really ticked me off because there's so much you could have with it and its view on the political machinations that go on during the movie.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:22 AM

About the movie, or the disc? I heavily enjoyed the film. I saw it in theaters, but boy was it hard to follow with all of the text everywhere. There we English subitles, Japanese text, English text, etc. I'm glad this print is clean as it makes it so much easier to watch the movie. Although, Godzilla is the only character in the movie to not have a name/job description listed. :-p

I have to watch it a few more times before I can really place the film among my ranking, but I will say that the audio on the disc sucks. I had to turn my receiver up to -8.0 just to hear the center channel good and I only felt my subwoover once when Godzilla's breath attack was blowing things up.

Also, the bonus feature was awful as the guy in the red shirt kept getting his facts mixed up, his names, his characters, his monsters, etc.

The video quality is superb though and like I already said, I am quite glade Toho gave Funimation the clean version. Oh, and they touched up some of the CGI on Godzilla, which was nice because Godzilla looked like a PS4 version that was green screened into the movie when I saw it in theaters. The train missiles and dentistry scene trucks still look awful though.

If you have not seen this movie though, I must stress do not go into this expecting your typical Godzilla film. This is a Hideki Anno film first, a Godzilla movie second. You will have everything from Anno from lost of talk, lots of politics, tons of pointless characters, close up facial shots, black screens of text that say something like, "This conversation has been edited," and the exact same soundtrack from Evangelion. Oh, but boy is the music to this film awesome. God damn it is a rocking soundtrack, which was the biggest thing I felt the 2014 movie lacked. I also love how this movie does not keep Japan in a bubble. The whole world is effected by this event one way or another, like it was in the 84 movie.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:48 AM

I have a lot of respect for the reviewer in how he handled this review. I haven't seen the movie yet, and it is on my "maybe" list. The reason I like this review is because, whenever a movie in a franchise decides to do something dramatically different, reviews usually suffer, with people complaining "it's different!" It is very nice to see a reviewer take an objective approach and view a movie for what it is, instead of what its not.

How is the Dub? Did Funimation do the dub, or just distribute it? To me, part of the fun of Godzilla movies is watching the horrible English dubbing, and as such, I usually prefer the dub. To me, that is the main reason to watch Toho movies - the horrible dubbing!
Old 08-15-2017, 10:56 AM

The dubs from the 70s movies were like cartoon characters, they really add to the enjoyment of the movies especially Godzilla vs. Megalon.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themisfit138 View Post
The dubs from the 70s movies were like cartoon characters, they really add to the enjoyment of the movies especially Godzilla vs. Megalon.
Yes, but even the dubs from the 80s and 90s were enjoyable.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:09 AM

The dub for this movie is from Funimation, but it is still terrible. Live action and dubbing just don't mix.