The Crimson Kimono - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Default The Crimson Kimono - HDD Review

David says there's a lot more to The Crimson Kimono than meets the eye. What starts out as a gritty murder mystery involving a sleazy stripper evolves into a highly charged love triangle between two cops - one American, one Asian - and the woman who's torn between them.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4625...sonkimono.html
Old 08-10-2017, 09:07 AM

Is that Shaw in that screengrab under The Audio: Rating the Sound? Looks like a young Sean Young. I'd like to see this, shame it's a Twilight. Maybe I'll rent it from Amazon, I'd like to see it
Old 08-10-2017, 07:36 PM

Yes that's her. And now that you mention it, she does look a lot like Sean Young. Also reminds me of Donna Reed from the 1950s.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
Yes that's her. And now that you mention it, she does look a lot like Sean Young. Also reminds me of Donna Reed from the 1950s.
Yes definitely resembles Donna Reed as well

Watched this tonight. Kind of weird movie with strange motive for the killer. But I get what Fuller was aiming for and liked how he intertwined everything. Didn't feel like a real film noir but decent enough. Probably won't be purchasing this. I can see how a lot from this movie was probably really taboo back then
Old 08-17-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Yes definitely resembles Donna Reed as well

Watched this tonight. Kind of weird movie with strange motive for the killer. But I get what Fuller was aiming for and liked how he intertwined everything. Didn't feel like a real film noir but decent enough. Probably won't be purchasing this. I can see how a lot from this movie was probably really taboo back then
Yeah, the noir angle is really just that...an angle. I agree the motive of the killer is weak, but it ties in nicely with Joe's feelings about racism and how the look in someone's eyes often leads to false perceptions that can spiral out of control. The love story is definitely more interesting than the crime story, and it's a shame Fuller couldn't tie them together more seamlessly. That's probably why the film isn't very well known. The biggest suspense for me was
Spoiler
whether the censors would let the lovers actually kiss on screen. I was convinced they wouldn't, so I was quite surprised to see they did! That was probably quite a shocking and monumental moment for audiences of the day and a groundbreaking moment for movies.