Slither (Collector's Edition) - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-31-2017, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Default Slither (Collector's Edition) - HDD Review

Shout! Factory appears to have recycled the same transfer used in the original HD-DVD release of Slither, but E says it still holds up. The audio is presented in 5.1 DTS-HD MA, an upgrade over the original DD+ track, there are three new special features making this release Worth A Look.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3676/slither.html
Old 08-02-2017, 01:49 AM

What an odd movie to rerelease. That's been a budget/clearance title almost from release. Guess Shout Factory has to take what they can get.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
What an odd movie to rerelease. That's been a budget/clearance title almost from release. Guess Shout Factory has to take what they can get.
They're banking on the success of the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise bringing some renewed interest to James Gunn's older movies. Given that Gunn recorded a new commentary for it, he may have pushed for this disc to get released now that he has some industry clout.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:50 PM

It's a fun little movie, but no way I'm dropping $20 for the same old transfer. The HD DVD really does hold up well.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
It's a fun little movie, but no way I'm dropping $20 for the same old transfer. The HD DVD really does hold up well.
We don't know if it is the same exact transfer. Sounds like it is but they may have mastered it better this go round. We know they did for the sound.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:32 PM

Looking at the screen cap comparisons between the HD DVD and Blu-ray, there is a very minor increase in sharpness on the BR, but it's small enough in the still grabs that I doubt it would be noticeable in motion. While the new commentary is nice, I kind of regret spending $20 on the new disc, as it doesn't offer much of an upgrade over my HD DVD copy.

Note: I don't currently have a surround sound system and just use my TV speakers, so the sound upgrade is irrelevant at this point.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:34 PM

As someone who's never had the luxury of owning this in hd up until a little while ago, I think it looks fantastic and my expectations have been exceeded. Been waiting a long time for this one.