Original Theatrical Edition 'Star Wars' Trilogy Blu-ray Rumors Debunked - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-02-2017, 12:40 PM

Default Original Theatrical Edition 'Star Wars' Trilogy Blu-ray Rumors Debunked

Original Theatrical Edition 'Star Wars' Trilogy Blu-ray Rumors Debunked:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...debunked/38330
Old 03-02-2017, 12:48 PM

That's a shame
Old 03-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I don't think it would take much to make a 4K scan and include the "trims" instead of the edits. Which like the article indicated, we knew the original clips were still safe and sound somewhere, which debunks what Lucas kept telling everyone in that these trims were destroyed.

Quote:
In other words, those still waiting for Han to shoot first again, will have to keep waiting... for now.
Or get the Harmy Edition, which is only 720P but still looks pretty good!
Old 03-02-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I don't think it would take much to make a 4K scan and include the "trims" instead of the edits. Which like the article indicated, we knew the original clips were still safe and sound somewhere, which debunks what Lucas kept telling everyone in that these trims were destroyed.

Or get the Harmy Edition, which is only 720P but still looks pretty good!
I wonder if it's Disney just not wanting to deal with different versions of the movies? Who knows
Old 03-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

As we know, Star Wars '77 is partly owned by Fox so who knows if that would be an obstacle or not.

We know that Hollywood has better access to these materials than the private sector. It would still make a buttload of money so why not release it? Do they think the people wanting the original release are a small crowd?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
As we know, Star Wars '77 is partly owned by Fox so who know sif that would be an obstacle or not.
Star Wars is owned entirely by Lucasfilm, which is now part of Disney. However, 20th Century Fox has distribution rights to Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and the three prequels until 2020, and distribution rights to A New Hope in perpetuity.

Quote:
We know that Hollywood has better access to these materials than the private sector. It would still make a buttload of money so why not release it? Do they think the people wanting the original release are a small crowd?
Unfortunately, George Lucas hacked up the original camera negatives in 1997 to conform the archival reference copies of the movies to the "Special Edition" version at that time. Although all the trimmed footage was reportedly saved, it will take a great deal of effort and expense to reconstruct and restore the original theatrical cuts. It's possible, but the question is whether Disney believes that money would be recouped.

Disney primarily bought Lucasfilm for the opportunity to crank out new Star Wars content every year from now until fans can't stand it anymore. In the studio's mind, the original and prequel trilogies are already played-out and there'd be little financial benefit in re-releasing any of those movies yet again.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Last edited by Josh Z; 03-03-2017 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

How much work did CBS have to put in to make Star Trek TNG into Hi Def? Multiple reels of films, new CG. I can't imagine there be much to re-do Star Wars. Minutes wise how much would you say was altered? 20? I would be fine with the re-done mattes, it's just all the other shit.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
How much work did CBS have to put in to make Star Trek TNG into Hi Def? Multiple reels of films, new CG. I can't imagine there be much to re-do Star Wars. Minutes wise how much would you say was altered? 20? I would be fine with the re-done mattes, it's just all the other shit.
And no CGI dance number in Jaba's palace. That was my childhood crushing moment seeing that monstracity in the theater.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
There's much more than 30 minutes of changes per movie. Beyond the big content changes that catch everyone's attention (Greedo shooting first, new Jabba scene, Jedi Rocks, etc.), Lucas also went through and made countless small, almost invisible changes to nit-picky things that had bugged him for decades. He digitally recomposited (at 2k or less) many of the special effects shots in order to reduce or eliminate the "garbage mattes." He changed the colors of lightsabers and laser blasts. In at least one instance, he cut the medal off an Imperial officer's uniform and pasted it on the other side of his chest because the shot had been optically flipped originally. Many of these changes you'd never notice unless someone pointed them out to you, but every single shot like that is locked to the quality of the 1997 Digital Intermediate.

The comparison to Star Trek brings up another point. CBS Films has complained endlessly about how poorly the Star Trek TNG Blu-rays sold, which is why they canceled plans to restore Deep Space Nine or Voyager. Disney undoubtedly looks at that as a sign that they wouldn't make their money back in restoring Star Wars.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:31 AM

I have the original theatrical cuts of IV-VI, but they are on DVD and in letterbox. I have to zoom the image to fit the HDTV. But I have them and I sometimes choose to watch these rather than watching the edited Blu-Ray. Han shot first and last!!!