'Moonlight' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-01-2017, 05:19 PM

Default 'Moonlight' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has reviewed 'Moonlight'. He says the right film won Best Picture. This is highly recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/42989/moonlight.html
Old 03-01-2017, 06:28 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

I'll be the first to say it...I wasn't thrilled with this movie. I didn't hate it, but I also don't see what all the fuss is about. Just "okay" for me, although Ali's performance is definitely the high point.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
I'll be the first to say it...I wasn't thrilled with this movie. I didn't hate it, but I also don't see what all the fuss is about. Just "okay" for me, although Ali's performance is definitely the high point.
That's exactly how I felt about 'Manchester by the Sea.' I think 'Moonlight' is a far better film, but it's interesting how differently we all react to various films. That's what makes the world go round, I guess.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:57 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Yep, I loved Manchester by the Sea.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
For professional critics, Shannon you're the only one.
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/moon...critic-reviews
Old 03-02-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
That's exactly how I felt about 'Manchester by the Sea.' I think 'Moonlight' is a far better film, but it's interesting how differently we all react to various films. That's what makes the world go round, I guess.
For professional critics, David you're the second one.
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/manc...critic-reviews
Old 03-02-2017, 07:17 AM

I felt the first third of this movie was just too hard to believe, after that it was really solid.

Mahershala Ali's acting was fine, but his character just feels like an absurd fantasy (the generous, loving, paternal, ghetto crack dealer who preaches self-acceptance in all the politically correct terminology you’d expect to find in a text book). His wife feels like an even more absurd fantasy (the ghetto crack dealer’s wife with model good looks who is also endlessly down-to-earth, maternal, patient, understanding, and does all the domestic stuff herself like cooking and making beds). The scenes where Chrion goes over to their interior decorator magazine home and they bake him homemade dinners and give him Dr. Phil sessions were just too much for me.

Like I said, after that, the movie worked completely for me. The bullying scenario of the second part played out in a way that was believable and painful. The characters make cruel and foolish decisions, but in a way you can understand. The whole scene in the diner in the third act was great. There's a lot of complex emotions and history between these two guys and I would say this scene plays out with constant tension as to which way it's going to go.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:58 PM

Just watched this last night. Thought it was a solid movie but it certainly not my favorite for this past year. Bought it on Blu but will probably resell and be happy with the digital copy. Not sure I will ever watch again, certainly not for a very long time.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:39 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
For professional critics, Shannon you're the only one.
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/moon...critic-reviews
Nothing new.

I should probably clarify I don't think Moonlight is a BAD movie, but it wouldn't have been in my top 10 for 2016.