'The Gate' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-27-2017, 01:26 PM

Default 'The Gate' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'The Gate'. This is recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/42228/thegate.html
Old 02-27-2017, 01:41 PM

Wow look how young Stephen Dorff is?! I feel old!

I remember when this came out but I never saw it. I definitely need to see it
Old 02-27-2017, 06:11 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I want to buy these Vestron releases and I do remember this movie, but Lionsgate must be going for the low volume sales instead, thus the higher street price. I know you could say "Well jeesh, Twilight Time releases are right up there too and you buy those!" - that's not quite true, I generally don't buy them unless I *really* want the movie.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:34 AM

I loved this movie. Still think it holds up incredibly well. The special effects are mostly amazing for such a low budget film.

"Yooou've been baaaaaaaad!"
Old 02-28-2017, 04:28 AM

I absolutely love The Gate, from when I saw it as a kid. It's a children's horror movie that is really only made for kids in that it has them as the leads. It doesn't compromise on atmosphere or gore, and a lot of modern 'scary' movies could learn a lot from The Gate.

I always thought the effects were outstanding, as well! There's some very, very creative use. When I was younger, I still found myself wondering how the heck they'd done some of the shots - mainly the shots that mixed forced perspective and normal (and I was very into how special effects were made, still am). It's obvious now, but they still stand up stunningly well.

This really is an 80's kids/horror classic, that doesn't get the attention it deserves. I'll be ordering the Blu Ray to replace my special edition DVD as soon as I click post! :-D
Old 02-28-2017, 02:46 PM
Administrator

I love 'The Gate'. I got a chance to watch all of this. It's pretty expensive for what you get. I was disappointed that there were no extras with any of the main actors.

My Best,
Bryan Kluger
www.boomstickcomics.com
Old 02-28-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanKluger View Post
I love 'The Gate'. I got a chance to watch all of this. It's pretty expensive for what you get. I was disappointed that there were no extras with any of the main actors.
Those supplements look pretty good.

Generally for these older movies you sometimes barely get any supplements.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I want to buy these Vestron releases and I do remember this movie, but Lionsgate must be going for the low volume sales instead, thus the higher street price. I know you could say "Well jeesh, Twilight Time releases are right up there too and you buy those!" - that's not quite true, I generally don't buy them unless I *really* want the movie.
It's $52.32 Cdn at the moment on Amazon(.ca). I, like many, love this film. But will I buy this blu-ray version for this ludicrous price?
No. F'n. Way.
I can get Criterion blu-rays for cheaper than that. Looks like I'll be sticking with my "Monstrous Special Edition" DVD after all.