'Manchester by the Sea' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Default 'Manchester by the Sea' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has reviewed 'Manchester by the Sea'. Here's what he thought...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4269...rbythesea.html
Old 02-14-2017, 01:32 PM

This is a very interesting and articulate review. I'm curious if I'll go along with it after I see the film. Everything that keeps David from totally loving it is just like a thing I would find lacking. But pacing and realistic human behavior, or film's version of it - which is never as strictly realistic as we think - are both so subject to individual tastes.

Generally, I like a movie that errs to the side of gratuitous pauses (Lost in Translation, most of the Terrence Malick cannon, though some would consider those just whole filmed pauses!), so I have some hopes I'll like still love it. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if I find it contrived. Here's hoping.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubdylan View Post
This is a very interesting and articulate review. I'm curious if I'll go along with it after I see the film. Everything that keeps David from totally loving it is just like a thing I would find lacking. But pacing and realistic human behavior, or film's version of it - which is never as strictly realistic as we think - are both so subject to individual tastes.

Generally, I like a movie that errs to the side of gratuitous pauses (Lost in Translation, most of the Terrence Malick cannon, though some would consider those just whole filmed pauses!), so I have some hopes I'll like still love it. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if I find it contrived. Here's hoping.
David is one of this site's BEST reviewers.

As for this movie I will not be seeing it. Too depressing and sad, which I'm not into these days. I didn't like Lost in Translation either, so I will be skipping this.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:18 PM

Boston, I hear you on the sad movies. I find them cathartic usually, but unrelentingly bleak, nihilistic, or deterministic stuff I usually abort halfway through. Some movies, though, that are that way to most aren't to me. Everything Must Go is one that my friends find too sad but I like. But then Inside Llewyn Davis is unwatchably depressing to me and great to them. *shrugs*
Old 02-15-2017, 06:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
David is one of this site's BEST reviewers.

As for this movie I will not be seeing it. Too depressing and sad, which I'm not into these days. I didn't like Lost in Translation either, so I will be skipping this.
Cheer up buddy. We can watch it together. Get a Tony's supreme pizza, light some wood wick candles, turn the dimmer switch to halfway. I'll even go to Rent-A-Center and upgrade to a 42" 720p LG Plasma for the occasion. If you're lucky, I might break out the Fleshlight. What do ya say?
Old 02-15-2017, 03:23 PM

I watched it. I also liked, but didn't love, the movie. Like David noted, too many of the small moments didn't work. Not (for me) because they were small or inconsequential to the plot, but they just didn't do the atmospheric/ tonal things you have to do to keep the viewer glued to those small moments.

I didn't mind that every behavioral moment wasn't as raw-nerve real as others, though. That's an adjustment I've had to make in both Deer Hunter and On the Waterfront, when pitch perfect method acting drifts in and out of more melodramatic or conventional moments. That's part of movie language to me.

Casey Affleck is great in it.

But despite my love of slow burn movies, I did sometimes feel impatient. For all its moodiness, some moments were still too loose and haphazard to justify their length. My eyes were literally falling away from the screen sometimes. And keep in mind that Days of Heaven is in my top 50 films. But this wasn't hypnotic like that. A lot of clunky quiet minutes and half-minutes with no rhythm to speak of.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I watched it. I also liked, but didn't love, the movie. Like David noted, too many of the small moments didn't work. Not (for me) because they were small or inconsequential to the plot, but they just didn't do the atmospheric/ tonal things you have to do to keep the viewer glued to those small moments.

I didn't mind that every behavioral moment wasn't as raw-nerve real as others, though. That's an adjustment I've had to make in both Deer Hunter and On the Waterfront, when pitch perfect method acting drifts in and out of more melodramatic or conventional moments. That's part of movie language to me.

But despite my love of slow burn movies, I did sometimes feel impatient. For all its moodiness, some moments were still too loose and haphazard to justify their length. My eyes were literally falling away from the screen sometimes. And keep in mind that Days of Heaven is in my top 50 films. But this wasn't hypnotic like that. A lot of clunky quiet minutes and half-minutes with no rhythm to speak of.
I probably wouldn't like this LOL
Old 02-15-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:

A good example of some moments that just didn't work (for me) were the scenes with Patrick and his band. That could have been one scene instead of two and much shorter. All the stuff about the drummer being too fast or too slow made me think, "What am I watching, Whiplash?"

Interesting that you mention Deer Hunter and On the Waterfront...two of my all-time favorite films!! Yes, Deer Hunter spends a bit too much time at the wedding, but the acting is superb. And On the Waterfront tis just a flat-out masterpiece. That one juggles understatement with raw-nerve stuff perfectly!

I have some plot issues with Manchester, too, but couldn't get into them in the review because I didn't want to spoil anything.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:48 PM

Agreed about On the Waterfront. That is an amazing movie and Marlon Brando's performance is awesome!
Old 02-15-2017, 10:02 PM

David, yes on Patrick and his band. And yes to that being the sort of thing that went wrong a few times. The script doesn't seem to know when it's got something special and when it doesn't, even though it definitely has some things that are very special.

Boston, I watch On the Waterfront at least twice per year. Oddly, the detail in Brando's eye make up showing up so much on the Blu-ray distracted me badly the first few times I watched it. Now it's nothing, like seeing the wires in the City Lights boxing scene - who cares - and I enjoy the greater detail of the Waterfront BD in general. It's such a great film. I may put it on now.

Enjoyed the conversation, fellas.