'September Storm - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2017, 03:48 PM

Default 'September Storm - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

Matthew Hartman has reviewed two version of 'September Storm - 3D'. Check it out!

September Storm - 3D Kickstarter Edition:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4354...eredition.html

September Storm - 3D:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4297...erstorm3d.html
Old 02-07-2017, 04:16 AM

Slightly off topic... but the review for this film got me thinking, it would be great if you guys could compile a list of all the pre-2000s 3D films that are now available, with their ratings. (You may have already done so, and if so, sorry I've not seen it!) ;-) But for those of us who enjoy 3D, there's a fascination with older 3D movies that it's now possible to watch in the home.

I loved watching It Came from Outer Space recently. To see an old classic like that in HD and in 3D, is a great experience. 3D in the home is such a recent and modern thing, that to see an old film in full 3D that was intended to be in 3D, is a special form of movie magic. :-)

My 3D dream release would be Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone. Looks less and less likely to ever happen, now 3D TVs are no longer being made... :-(
Old 02-07-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom View Post
Slightly off topic... but the review for this film got me thinking, it would be great if you guys could compile a list of all the pre-2000s 3D films that are now available, with their ratings. (You may have already done so, and if so, sorry I've not seen it!) ;-) But for those of us who enjoy 3D, there's a fascination with older 3D movies that it's now possible to watch in the home.

I loved watching It Came from Outer Space recently. To see an old classic like that in HD and in 3D, is a great experience. 3D in the home is such a recent and modern thing, that to see an old film in full 3D that was intended to be in 3D, is a special form of movie magic. :-)

My 3D dream release would be Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone. Looks less and less likely to ever happen, now 3D TVs are no longer being made... :-(
I'll pitch that! Would be a great article - kinda wanted to do something like that for awhile anyway.

It's a shame 3D TVs are going to become a rarity soon, there are so many great titles out there with a lot of interest. 3-D Film Archive has at least 2-3 more coming before summer and then Twilight Time as 2-3 more on their slate as well (can't remember which ones).

Have you checked out 'Mad Magician' yet? Pick that one up as soon as you can, the Stooges shorts alone are worth it!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedscreen View Post
I'll pitch that! Would be a great article - kinda wanted to do something like that for awhile anyway.

It's a shame 3D TVs are going to become a rarity soon, there are so many great titles out there with a lot of interest. 3-D Film Archive has at least 2-3 more coming before summer and then Twilight Time as 2-3 more on their slate as well (can't remember which ones).

Have you checked out 'Mad Magician' yet? Pick that one up as soon as you can, the Stooges shorts alone are worth it!
I shall check out Mad Magician, thanks! :-) I have to say, I'd love an article like that.

The funny thing is, that they're trying to push 4K instead now, and whilst many people are upgrading their TVs to 4k, it's more akin to when people upgraded to full HD flatscreens. It wasn't that most cared about HD, it was that they just happened to upgrade their TVs, and the TVs available were HD. I'm still amazed how few people I know even have Blu Ray, let alone 3D or 4K Blu Ray players.

So I suspect buying 4K movies will be even more niche than 3D, but they've even lost the 3D appeal by not making the compatible TVs. You only need to look at shop shelves. Blu Ray is still one set of shelves where DVD covers the rest. I have serious doubts about how much actual 4K content will sell on disk, as opposed to people just happening to own 4K TVs that they only use for normal HD broadcasts and streaming. At least 3D has the gimmicky 'wow' factor for movie fans to show off, and something that big movie fans like to enjoy for the full cinema experience on appropriate movies. It's a shame the TV manufacturers have given up on it.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom View Post
You only need to look at shop shelves. Blu Ray is still one set of shelves where DVD covers the rest.
I think the issue here is that you are looking at B&M stores. DVD still outsells Blu, yes, but Blu still sells well. Most enthusiasts know where to go to buy what they are looking for. I imagine it is why Disney releases a lot of 3D only in the UK - US customers buy from them anyway if they want it. Keeps the distribution costs down for items with a limited audience.

This movie sounds interesting enough, the review was fascinating enough, and the price is low enough that I may blind-buy it. I love a good 3D gimmik flick.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:25 AM

Sad news about 3d. I'm still going to buy as many 3d titles as I can. I sincerely wish I were able to afford the kickstarter version for September Storm, but my funds have been so tight lately, I haven't even been able to pick up Mad Magician, The Stewardesses, or Miss Sadie Thompson as of yet. I can't wait for Ape in 3d as well. I'm also praying that if Universal releases the Legacy Collection for The Creature From the Black Lagoon, that Revenge of the Creature will be featured in 3D. Fingers crossed.
My 3d dream release would be Robot Monster and if possible, Friday the 13th part 3 non anaglyph.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
I think the issue here is that you are looking at B&M stores. DVD still outsells Blu, yes, but Blu still sells well. Most enthusiasts know where to go to buy what they are looking for. I imagine it is why Disney releases a lot of 3D only in the UK - US customers buy from them anyway if they want it. Keeps the distribution costs down for items with a limited audience.

This movie sounds interesting enough, the review was fascinating enough, and the price is low enough that I may blind-buy it. I love a good 3D gimmik flick.
My point wasn't that Blu Ray doesn't sell well. It does, but it's that it's still somewhat of a 'movie enthusiast' format, despite being pretty main stream and popular now. So if Blu Ray, with it's quite clear advantage over DVD, is still somewhat of an enthusiast format, what will 4K end up, which doesn't even have the added bonus of 3D content for enthusiasts and little visible benefit visually, when sat at reasonable viewing distances (not to mention so little 4k content)?
Old 02-09-2017, 12:33 PM

This movie and its review are why I love HDD, I would never have found it or even thought about buying it without this review, as it it I now have it on order.