'Star Trek: The Original Series - The Roddenberry Vault' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-03-2017, 12:40 PM

Default 'Star Trek: The Original Series - The Roddenberry Vault' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Star Trek: The Original Series - The Roddenberry Vault'. Here's what he thought...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3636...erryvault.html
Old 01-04-2017, 08:20 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

A "wealth" of material was supposed to have been uncovered, but from what I can gather, not a whole lot of that footage appears on this release.

Knowing Paramount/CBS's habit of re-packaging 'Star Trek' as many ways as they can, does anyone get the sense that there will be Roddenberry Vault Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 down the road?

This is one of those titles I'd like to own, but the price doesn't justify it right now...it's going to need to drop under $30 before I consider picking it up...like most, I'd ONLY be buying it for the bonus content.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:25 AM

I was hesitant to buy it because of the price but as a Trek junkie I had to have it, I thought the bonus materials and the new audio commentaries were very enjoyable I'd have been happier with a lower price and no god forsaken case monstrosity.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:19 PM

Nice review, Josh!

Note that some of the episodes, when viewed with Original effects, still have new effects shots mixed in. Arena and at least one other have this issue, as reported by users of the other big site's forum.

Also, if $40 is too rich for anybody's blood, I hear the UK set comes out to less than $30 in the states after shipping from Amazon UK. It is smaller than the North American version.

Last edited by eastx; 01-17-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Note that some of the episodes, when viewed with Original effects, still have new effects shots mixed in. Arena and at least one other have this issue, as reported by users of the other big site's forum.
Interesting. I didn't rewatch that episode. Is it known whether the old Blu-rays do that too, or is this a problem specific to the Roddenberry Vault collection?
Old 01-06-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Interesting. I didn't rewatch that episode. Is it known whether the old Blu-rays do that too, or is this a problem specific to the Roddenberry Vault collection?
It's specific to this release - I hear the episodes have different encodes and possibly less DNR in this edition. Here are the reports of remastered effects errors (which are pretty minor, in total):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=446

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=451

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=453
Old 01-06-2017, 04:17 PM

I'm a fan of the series and have all the seasons on the earlier BD releases, but the $50 pricetag of this set seems excessive. If they release a single-disc version with just the documentaries and outtakes for $15 it might be worth a look. Otherwise, pass.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoopster View Post
I'm a fan of the series and have all the seasons on the earlier BD releases, but the $50 pricetag of this set seems excessive. If they release a single-disc version with just the documentaries and outtakes for $15 it might be worth a look. Otherwise, pass.
$25 shipped for the UK version is pretty close. The US version was $40 at Amazon for a while, though.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Nice review, Josh!

Also, if $40 is too rich for anybody's blood, I hear the UK set comes out to less than $30 in the states after shipping from Amazon UK. It also omits the slipcover and is smaller as a result.
I purchased the UK version. It's region free and it does have a slipcase. It's in the usual UK style blue case, about the same thickness as a plastic Criterion case. The mono sound is Dolby Digital, so if you want lossless you have to play the multichannel mix.