Disney Blu-ray Four-Packs Surface at Costco - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 PM
HDD Founder

Default Disney Blu-ray Four-Packs Surface at Costco

Quote:
Although much has been made of Warner's upcoming "Best of HD DVD" and "Best of Blu-ray" disc bundles (which had been billed as the first of their kind), it seems that Disney has quietly beat Warner to the punch.

First spotted by Tyler Pruitt of the blog Format War Central, Costco began carrying three Disney-branded Blu-ray disc bundles this week.

Each of the bundles include a total of four previously-release Disney Blu-ray flicks, as follows:

The "Action Movies" four-pack includes 'Pearl Harbor,' 'Gone in 60 Seconds,' 'The Guardian' and 'Deja Vu'; the "Family Movies" four-pack includes 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl,' 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest,' 'Invincible' and 'Eight Below'; and finally, the "Disney Movies" four-pack includes 'The Wild,' 'Chicken Little,' 'Dinosaur' and 'Bridge to Terabithia.'

Each of the bundles appear to include the previously-released Blu-ray editions of the films, with the same specs, supplements and cover art.

Costco is selling each of the three bundles for $84.99 a piece -- that's a savings of over $50 if each were bought separately at their retail price.

At press time, it wasn't immediately clear whether these disc bundles are exclusive to Costco, or if they'll be offered via other retailers.
Full story (including photos) here:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/849
Old 08-10-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Costco??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed View Post
Full story (including photos) here:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/849
Who walks into a Costco prepared to drop an additional $85.00 on movies?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Default This is a deal?

The only way this is a deal is that if you want all four movies in the set.

Otherwise, you are paying through the nose!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
Who walks into a Costco prepared to drop an additional $85.00 on movies?
LOL. That is what I was saying to myself when I walked in our local Costco and saw these!! Why dont they have these avaible individually?? These were the only blu-ray films they had there. They also had the Sony bdp-s300 player for $500.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:29 PM

huh. not a bad price at all.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Kinda has the feeling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
LOL. That is what I was saying to myself when I walked in our local Costco and saw these!! Why dont they have these avaible individually?? These were the only blu-ray films they had there. They also had the Sony bdp-s300 player for $500.
of, well, they didn't sell very well individually, let's bundle them up and drop them in Costco and see if we can get rid of a few units that way.

Sorry but no one is going to spend $85 on an impulse buy.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:26 PM

Looks like Disney is basically doing exactly what Warner is: dump excess inventory in discounted bundles. Kinda sad that these companies are resorting to this, but I bet print runs on all these titles were way more than the market was ready for. As the printing costs drop on the media, there's really no reason to sit on inventory for months and months. Move it out, buy more for less when the market demand materializes.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Former Member

I saw these at costco on Wednesday, but didn't have a camera. I Didn't think it was worth posting, as the prices on them are kinda....not box-setty price breakish, ya know? 85 for 4? thats 21 a piece, which is good, if you have NONE of them and want all 4.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:11 PM

Not a bad deal. Too bad I let my Costco Membership lapse.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:32 AM

Another bad thing about costco you cant use credit cards. Only American Express or your Debit card. That's one reason why I would not get this!!
Mischa.