'Don't Breathe' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-01-2016, 02:07 PM

Default 'Don't Breathe' - High-Def Digest Review

Matthew has reviewed 'Don't Breathe'. He says this is a solid and creepy home invasion flick. The Blu-ray is highly recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/38100/dontbreathe.html
Old 12-01-2016, 04:22 PM

I blind bought this yesterday, but have yet to watch it. What sold me on it was a review blurb that said something like, "Builds tension like a John Carpenter movie".

EDIT: Also, FWIW, I'm a big fan of the 'Evil Dead' remake.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I blind bought this yesterday, but have yet to watch it. What sold me on it was a review blurb that said something like, "Builds tension like a John Carpenter movie".

EDIT: Also, FWIW, I'm a big fan of the 'Evil Dead' remake.
Awesome, I dug the Evil Dead remake too - I was surprised by this because I was expecting way more gore, it's actually very restrained and knows how to take its time to build the tension. I think you'll dig it.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:14 PM

Nice review Matthew. Saw this in the theater with my girlfriend. I thoroughly enjoyed it, her...not so much. She was pretty terrified the whole time, as was the majority of the audience. It's a solid thriller. Excellently made.

BUT, my only gripe with the film is with one scene in particular. Those who have seen it will know what I'm talking about. The turkey baster scene. Won't say much more about it to give away any spoilers, but it was just too unintentionally funny. The audience I saw it with were all in huge laughs because of it. The studio should've cut that scene out, trimmed it down, or just ordered a re-shoot of it. It was the only low point of the film. Other than that though, this was one terrific thriller. Will be picking this blu-ray up.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:33 PM

I dug the way this film was able to shift sympathy among the characters. It also did a great job making clever use of all the pieces it put on the board. And I am glad they kept the blind man's abilities within reason, going in I was worried they would make him too overpowered with super hearing or something stupid, but they kept good limits on him.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:10 AM

I highly enjoyed this movie, but it was not without its flaws. I just didn't care about the characters because they got exactly what they deserved. The turkey baster scene was pretty gross and that is where the movie kind of lost a notch, but as a whole, it was an enjoyable, suspenseful ride.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:33 PM

It's pretty much predictable from the get go. Nothing special as the "twist" is already "mentioned" in the beginning of the movie when they plan for an easy job robbing a blind guy. That gives away that it's going to be a highly difficult robbery job which will automatically be going wrong.