High-Def Digest's Holiday Movie Round-Up - Part 1: The Top 10 Classics - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-28-2016, 05:07 PM

Default High-Def Digest's Holiday Movie Round-Up - Part 1: The Top 10 Classics

David Krauss has compiled a Top 10 List of holiday classics that are readily available on Blu-ray and well worth an annual spin.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...classics/36793
Old 11-29-2016, 12:56 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I still need to get White Christmas and Holiday Inn. Great list of classics.
We of course all need to have some other very classy classics - touted as "Original Christmas Classics" - Rudolph, Frosty.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Great list of classics.
We of course all need to have some other very classy classics - touted as "Original Christmas Classics" - Rudolph, Frosty.
Indeed! I intentionally did not include animated TV specials in this list, but they are certainly worthy of our annual attention! Rankin & Bass are gods!!
Old 11-29-2016, 08:48 AM

I've only seen the first two movies. I need to get cracking
Old 11-29-2016, 08:27 PM

I haven't seen Remember The Night, and it doesn't seem to be avaible on bluray anymore.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themisfit138 View Post
I haven't seen Remember The Night, and it doesn't seem to be avaible on bluray anymore.
After seeing your post, I checked on this, and you are indeed right. What a shame! It was a TCM exclusive, and interestingly, TCM is still selling the DVD (which is currently on backorder), but not the Blu-ray. I checked Amazon, and used copies are selling for upwards of $79.99! New copies are well over $200!

TCM will be showing 'Remember the Night' on 12/22 at 9:45 p.m. (I think that's Eastern time, but better check), so you can at least record it in HD if you get TCM-HD on your cable/satellite system.

At the time of its Blu-ray release in 2014, I heard demand was quite high for 'Remember the Night.' I guess it was a limited edition pressing, and once the initial crop was gone, that was it. Hopefully, TCM will reissue it sometime in the future.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I've only seen the first two movies. I need to get cracking
Yes, you do! All of them are wonderful!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
Yes, you do! All of them are wonderful!
I am a HUGE fan of A Christmas Carol - the book AND all the movies. I think I've seen pretty much all of them.

I know the one you listed is considered the best but for me, the Patrick Stewart one, I think done by TNT is my favorite. He really does an amazing job as Scrooge. I may even like the George C Scott one better than this 1951 one as well.

Every December I also try to read the book. It's short so it's an easy read and gets me in the spirits. No humbug here!
Old 11-30-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I am a HUGE fan of A Christmas Carol - the book AND all the movies. I think I've seen pretty much all of them.

I know the one you listed is considered the best but for me, the Patrick Stewart one, I think done by TNT is my favorite. He really does an amazing job as Scrooge. I may even like the George C Scott one better than this 1951 one as well.

Every December I also try to read the book. It's short so it's an easy read and gets me in the spirits. No humbug here!
A man after my own heart! 'Christmas in Connecticut' is showing on TCM today at 3pm Eastern. And the 1938 version of 'A Christmas Carol' with Reginald Owen as Scrooge is on TCM today at 1:45 Eastern.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
A man after my own heart! 'Christmas in Connecticut' is showing on TCM today at 3pm Eastern. And the 1938 version of 'A Christmas Carol' with Reginald Owen as Scrooge is on TCM today at 1:45 Eastern.
Sadly I don't get TCM. I have seen that 1938 version

Haven't seen Christmas in Connecticut but I will definitely see it this season, thanks!