'Hell or High Water' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-21-2016, 04:59 PM

Default 'Hell or High Water' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Hell or High Water'. He says this is one of 2016's very best movies. Highly recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3921...highwater.html
Old 11-22-2016, 08:23 AM

Caught this in cinemas and really liked it. It reminded me a lot of Elmore Leonard's style, especially the dialogue. A solid modern western.

It's a well-made movie, but it wouldn't surprise me if it gets overlooked come awards time. Maybe the screenplay will get a nod.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:03 AM

I really want to see this, heard it was very good but also very violent/bloody? Can anyone comment to that?
I'll probably see it anyways, it looks to be a good movie
Old 11-22-2016, 10:16 AM

For a movie about robbers, it is not especially violent or gory. A few people get shot, but it's not overdone. I would say it is less bloody than 'Heat'.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:09 AM

Thanks Bolo. I will definitely check this out!
Old 11-23-2016, 03:10 PM

I've never seen a film that scored above 95% on Rotten Tomatoes that I didn't at least understand why the critics loved it, even if it didn't do it for me. Until this one.

This is literally the most acclaimed movie I've ever thought was a bad film. I'm almost beside myself. Over half of the aw-shucks one liners were cringe-worthy (though quite a few of them were great, too). The wise-acre reactions of two of the people in the banks who were in great peril were beyond ridiculous, like something from Raising Arizona, only trapped in a serious film. So much of the plot was telegraphed. Several of the key pieces of emotional dialogue were so over-the-top that I was embarrassed for the actors and screen writers. There were cliches everywhere. Some films use cliches as a kind of language, but this one kept swapping back and forth between gritty realism and just-a-popcorn-movie.

It seems like about half of everything worked. Lots of ingredients for a good movie. The characters were super like-able and the ideas in the movie were worthy of a good film. But lots of truly bad moments thrown in with them. I'm dumbfounded that so many smart, cool people love this movie. So much of it was terrible and corny. Am I pretty much alone in this?
Old 11-23-2016, 03:24 PM

Boston, a few head shots. They are shown quickly and in a very standard-issue way, not lingering. For the gritty (sometimes) tone the movie was striking, I thought they pulled back on the violence.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:35 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubdylan View Post
I'm dumbfounded that so many smart, cool people love this movie. So much of it was terrible and corny. Am I pretty much alone in this?
I feel the same about "Arrival" - not everyone likes everything.

I suspect one's like of 'Hell or High Water' may have to do with one's socioeconomic background as well...if you've never been screwed over by a bank or another government agency (or know someone who has) or if you grew up well-off or upper middle class, I can see someone not "getting" this film at all. Not to say that you couldn't like this film if you did...but I could see why.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:59 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubdylan View Post
I'm dumbfounded that so many smart, cool people love this movie. So much of it was terrible and corny. Am I pretty much alone in this?
Bub, you aren't alone, and I liked it even less than you did. The whole premise is bad to begin with as it seems a lot of the film's fans don't know how a reverse mortgage actually works since the brothers' family aren't "screwed over by a bank" as Shannon claims and the screenwriter suggests. The mother owned her home in full or she couldn't have gotten that type of mortgage and then she sold it back to the bank in payments she would have received over many months, even years. The fact that the property has become more valuable as the bank is about to lay claim to it is happenstance, not some nefarious scheme.

Not sure what there is to like about the main characters. The brothers go from being selfish jerks, who don't mind ripping off taxpayers who fund the FDIC, to truly evil, as they think nothing of their greed destroying the lives of multiple families. And they are supposed to be the heroes of the story. Both Foster's loose cannon and Bridges' wise sage are such cliches as characters your words "terrible and corny" describe them perfectly.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:33 AM

I don't think the brothers are supposed to be "heroes", although the audience is supposed to understand their motivation. I thought the way the film ended was more designed to show that
Spoiler
Pine had done worse things than he ever intended to (killed some people) and lost more along the way (his brother) than he expected to, but had passed a point of no return and had to rationalize his actions to himself. Bridges wasn't going to let Pine forget his crimes, even threatening him.